The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

36mm bolts giving me a hard time

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinh766

15+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2003
SoCal - ATL - PHX, California
how do you guys unstake and get those 2 bolts off? the ones that keep all the geats together. i've tried hammering a screw driver and stuff, and used all of my hercules strength be to to avail. please share your past experiences. so far, i have taken 10 1/5 hours to take the tranny off for the very first time and to find out that i have neither a 1g nor a 2g tranny (FAWK!!!), and the only thing that has sent me to the shower and give it up for the day are these 2 bolts. so please share your ideas. thanks.

and what exactly do you guys mean by unstaking? i've been trying to hammer at the place where theres a tab. but i also see dimple marks at places other then the tabs, do you hammer your screw driver in there too? i was afraid i would ruin the thread.

What 36mm bolts? Are you talking about the CV axle nuts? If so, the second time I took those off I used an impact wrench on those, and they came straight off. The first time took a little bit of coaxing; Someone was sitting in the car with a helluva lot of pressure on the brake pedal; I had a breaker bar -and- and extension on that, so I had about 6 feet of leverage pulling down on the nuts. They finally broke loose with some PB Blaster and about 5 minutes of yanking and pulling.

That's the only thing I can think of that may be 36mm, and I'm not even sure of that.

Get a small punch and grind a pointed angle on the tip. Drive that into the hotch on the shaft and it will open the stake enough to get it loose. You will probably need an impact wrench to get them loose. I have done it several times because I have 1 center diff with a spool installed and a stock center diff also. I just swap them out occasionally for track and street.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back