The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Transmission has a hard time engaging 5th after new clutch install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Ok so after a new clutch install I have problems engaging 5th gear. I have new shifter bushings and even pulled the endcover off to make sure my endnuts where still tight and all is good there. Symtom is that it will engage and stay if I throw it in hard but if I just shift into 5th easy it wants to not fully engage and I have to slap it back up in. I don't have to hold it in gear, it stays in but aomething is up and I can't figure it out. Can anyone give me some tips, advice or help? Thanks so much. It worked fine before the new clutch install. Appreciate anyones help.

Your clutch could not be adjusted properly and may be dragging into gear. I would highly advise not driving the car until you get this figured out. Could end up ruining your trans in a hurry. Jacks has a great vid on how to properly adjust your master, slave and whatnot.

Thanks. Yes it is properly adjusted. Has no issues in any other gear. I just saw a post where the reverse switch was giving a problem. I had the end cover off also and everything was good but I wanted to be sure my endnut repair was in good shape and it was. I'm thinking its something simple. Thanks for some thoughts, I need another head on this issue! I think I will remove the reverse switch as a test only. :)

Well marty inspect everything again its funny how the problem started after the clutch install I f I were there we could have solved it, but can you adjust the linkage in the car on the cables I know I had some where I couldn't adjust them but on my 92 I can, I never owned a 90 only 92.

Do you have the aluminum washer under the reverse switch, and is yours damaged?

I am going to check that as I noticed that my back up lights are not working since its return from the shop. Thanks for the advice! :thumb:

Switch is destroyed and you are likely missing the crush washer that is REQUIRED on the switch, otherwise it gets killed and causes these shifting issues.

Reverse SwitchMD730979
Reverse Switch WasherMF660035

Thanks Tim, the car is down with a rod issue so I will check it. If it isn't that, I will be talking to you about a trans step 1 rebuild while I have it out....I will PM you. Thanks a bunch. Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back