The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 2gNT How do I install shifter bushings (under hood)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stizzydrew

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2021
Los Angles, California
This may probably be a silly question to some of you but I have under hood shifter bushing and j have seen that one is under the battery and under the intake. Just to be 100% sure.. can someone tell me exactly what to do? I don’t wanna take something off and mess something up. This is my daily . How long should this process take ? If someone can help me I would really appreciate it.
Here are how the bushings look.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Pull the cotter pins and the whole shift cable assembly comes off the shifter arms on the trans. Your old bushing are probably rotting so removal from the cable is very easy. Install the new ones and install the new cotter pins. If you have a pair of long needle nose pliers and skinny fingers it will be simple and nothing removed. If not then remove the intake pipe for better access. I'm pretty sure I didn't remove anything from my car to gain access but the intake may have been off at the time. The best access would be without the battery tray in the way. But it's not worth the extra time of removing it, just work around.

At some point somebody tried to use a washer to shim my old bushings. LOL

New bushing installed

Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Pull the cotter pins and the whole shift cable assembly comes off the shifter arms on the trans. Your old bushing are probably rotting so removal from the cable is very easy. Install the new ones and install the new cotter pins. If you have a pair of long needle nose pliers and skinny fingers it will be simple and nothing removed. If not then remove the intake pipe for better access. I'm pretty sure I didn't remove anything from my car to gain access but the intake may have been off at the time. The best access would be without the battery tray in the way. But it's not worth the extra time of removing it, just work around.

At some point somebody tried to use a washer to shim my old bushings. LOL

New bushing installed

Thank you for telling me how to do it. It definitely didn’t take me 10-15 mins because it was my first time but I definitely installed them. I removed my battery bc it made it easier for me. Here some pics of the new and old ones.
Also turns out I need a new negative battery cap. Lol you fix one thing on these cars and something else pops up :ohdamn:😂

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back