The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad shifter cable bushings????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenG

Probationary Member
Mar 28, 2011
Dallas, Texas
2g n/t: Could a bad shifter bushing cause 2nd, 4th, and reverse not to engage? when I try to shift into those gears the arm on the trans tries to go foward but it doesnt. The ring around the bushing just slides up the bushing and it stops there. When I pull the arm foward by hand the shift handle inside drops into
2nd and stays. I want to replace the bushing, but cant find it anywhere other than online. I want a quick fix to make sure thats the problem. I have read rollerblade or skateboard bearings? How do I go about installing those? Or if anyone have something I can go buy at an autoparts store that would be great! Again I just want a quick fix to make sure this is the problem. Thanks!

Rollerskate bearings. Pretty simple, just pull out the old rubber insert and press in the roller skate bearing. You might have to use a little sandpaper (or even a quick die grind) to clean/smooth/open up the ring on the cable a little. Then you might need a little grease on the outside of the bearing to get her to squash in. I haven't looked, but I would imagine that there probably is a write up on here on how to do this (but its pretty simple). 4G63 cable is the same thing.

And yes, if its on the appropriate shift arm, it will give you a problem on 2,4,R. You might also be sure to check that your horseshoe clips are on for that cable.

MB

I also noticed that the boot on that cable was ripped. Does that have any affect on the cable? On mach V they have two bearings welded together, is two need to make it work?

I also noticed that the boot on that cable was ripped. Does that have any affect on the cable? On mach V they have two bearings welded together, is two need to make it work?
No problems with rips (unless the cable underneath is broken).

I have done this mod on multiple cars. All I used were some old rollerblade bearings that I saved when I updated my rollerblades. Why they would weld two together is beyond me. I've had no problem with one per shift arm.

MB

Ok, So I put the skate bearings in and they worked! Well I was on my way to college last night and it started do the same. 2, 4, and R were gone! I think I am going to switch out the whole cable. So the question I had is there anything else I should check before changing out the cable? Would a auto trans cable work(I have a 5 speed manual)? I have also ordered the Symborski Shifter Kit, I dont know if that will help? Also thanks for the responses.

Also 1, 3, and 5 will still go in. Will those still go in if the cable is damaged in some way? I briefly looked at the way it shifted and I noticed that the part inside the boot was bending, but couldnt really get in there dues to the fact the eng. was hot. I thinking this might be the problem.

I have always had bad luck with the skate bearing thing, every time i do it my tranny grinds like crazy i just stick with the oem rubber things all i did was the solid shifter base bushings and its great.

If the skate bearings lock up, will that have any affect on the cable?

I had a rip in my boot at the end of the cable and because of it I couldn't move the shifter left and right. I had to spray grease in the rip and work the cable back and forth like twice a week. I finally just bought a new cable. So rips in the boot can definately cause shifting problems.

Its the clips that hold the cables to the transmission, I just lost the same gears, If you go to a hardware store or auto zone and go to the random do dad sections you can buy a little bag of brake line clips or fuel line clips I don't remember which one, And you take 2 and dremel out the centers and put the line through them and shove it on, a lot stronger than oem.

I also have no 2nd 4th or reverse but my cables clips and bushings look fine to me..I have a B&M short throw shifter though and dont know what the problem is...how much play should be in my shifter..there is not much side to side but like a inch front to back..

i would check and make sure cables are not bent. i have replaced mine 2x do to ruff shifting. if you have to buy new they arent expensive from the dealer thats were i bought mine. if yours are bad i have a new/used set if you want.....just sayn

I also have no 2nd 4th or reverse but my cables clips and bushings look fine to me..I have a B&M short throw shifter though and dont know what the problem is...how much play should be in my shifter..there is not much side to side but like a inch front to back..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back