The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1g rear brake upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never heard of an ISSUE with caliper mounting positions.

As for the brake cable thing it's simple it's just an ebrake cable that's if you take your carpet off and see the window of adjustment you'll see that.

For my car I would rather keep the almost exact 180° separation on the calipers. I don't like the kits or brackets that clock the calipers differently. They are at that place for a reason :) If all they were worried about was center of gravity then engineers could put calipers smack dab on the bottoms. I also don't like the look of bracketed EVO calipers that change the clocking of the caliper. But that's just me, and me knowing where the calipers really sit. But caliper position is something that is extremely debated and always will be.

Making a tubular trailing arm would be awesome. An entire different-armed rear suspension would be awesome.
Which kits are you referring to? I don't think the TCE kit would change the mounting point of the caliper. It might use a bracket to get it positioned correctly, but it wouldn't clock it. Are you referring to the 3kgt rear brake? I didn't even think to check how that one is positioned.

Any time I see brackets being made to bolt calipers up the holes are too close to stock so they clock them a good 15 degrees off, based on the center of the axle, that is. Those calipers are the 3000gt ones and the EVO Brembo brakes. I wish there were pictures of the TCE kit but it may not clock the rotors since those exotic calipers probably have mounting points further out.

I have a set of 3000gt trailing arms sitting at my house that i'm planning on swapping to my 1g. I plan on going with evo 9 rear brakes and rotors. I will be using the 3000gt e-brake cables so there will be no problems. The only thing that needs to be changed on the trailing arms is where it mounts to the front sub frame. The 3000gt bolts are larger, but I have the active toe elimination kit so all I have to do is swap it over to the 3000gt trailing arms. Everything should bolt right up. This setup should match my evo X front brakes nicely. I'm not sure when i'll have time to do the swap with school and work taking up all of my time. I'll be sure to document the swap and post it up here.

I have a set of 3000gt trailing arms sitting at my house that i'm planning on swapping to my 1g. I plan on going with evo 9 rear brakes and rotors. I will be using the 3000gt e-brake cables so there will be no problems. The only thing that needs to be changed on the trailing arms is where it mounts to the front sub frame. The 3000gt bolts are larger, but I have the active toe elimination kit so all I have to do is swap it over to the 3000gt trailing arms. Everything should bolt right up. This setup should match my evo X front brakes nicely. I'm not sure when i'll have time to do the swap with school and work taking up all of my time. I'll be sure to document the swap and post it up here.

I would like to see updates of that please kep us posted

Did you ever get this swap done? Sounds like a nice setup. What did the arms cost you?

Anybody have any more info on this swap? I have a set of 3000gt trailing arms coming in this week. If nobody else has done this yet, I will post what i find.

Wilwood offers some single action parking brake calipers like the ones shown also.

Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Mech Calipers

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

They are not single piston, they are 'no' piston. They simply have a pad and a lever arm of sorts to put pressure on the pad(s).

They are rather 'cheesy' in my opinion. The brackets are hell to make and make well. The pads will rattle and need occasional adjustment. They will require custom cables also. Given the need for the dual mounting it can also play hell with fit for the arms and other things where normally there is only one caliper.

For someone who is looking to increase rear brake performance there's little gain in a small bore four pot caliper vs the single piston on a larger disc anyhow. Piston area and bias design would have you running nearly equal piston area parts anyhow. Comparing:

Small bore Combo: 1.41
Large bore Combo: 2.04

Dyna Pro 1.00: 1.57"
FSL 1.125: 1.98"
FSL 1.25: 2.45"

The 1.25 bore FSL would be rather optimistic for the car really. Anything larger certainly out of the question.

For the hard core track users the DP or FSL pad will be larger and that's going to last longer. The response a bit better and perhaps more pad options. All good things. But if you need a parking brake caliper for your "track car"...it ain't a track car!~

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about some type of line lock that could be used as a parking brake. Just step on the brakes, apply line lock, turn off car. One would need to pipe in the rear line(s) into the car or if there was something that could be applied remotely would be dope.

Todd, you used to sell a bracket and larger unvented rotor for the 1G rears using the stock caliper. Not ideal but would provide a bit more brake torque. What ever happened to this kit?

The main one for that app was for the FWD car. Because of the rear trailing arms it didn't work on the AWD car. Not sure I have any parts to have it done on the AWD...I'll have to look at some old stuff.

Thanks Todd, let us know, I'm sure there would be some interest.

As far as line lock for parking brake, its been done a zillion times. Jamar makes a manual one for $34. There are electric ones but they use & drain battery power and get hot so not good for long term use. Now how to plum it in. These manual line locks only have one in and out port. I assume you would need 2 because most cars brakes are plumbed on diagonal seperate channels. Maybe its better to connect it up near the proportioning valve or master instead in the rear lines themselves. Any thoughts ?

Found some old notes on rear AWD stuff. Don't see anything that did the stock caliper on a relo bracket, all of it looks to be full replacement. Seems to me the issue was trailing arm fit doing much of anything else back there.

12.2" rotors with four pot (small bore) calipers.

yeah i forgot about that. do you know of any rear calipers that would be two piston that had the built in ebrake lever.
I don't care if it has parking break you can ues aline lock system for emergency break just need to know what other caliper will fit please and thank you

Very old thread so you may not get a reply.
Let me point out though that a "Line Lock" can't be used as an emergency brake. It requires hydraulic pressure FIRST, then a solenoid closes to hold that pressure. You would have to HAVE pressure first and then 12volts to hold it at that pressure. For the most part, an emergency brake is for just that, AN EMERGENCY, like a brake line rusted out and now you have NO brakes. The ebrake should always be mechanical for it to operate for it's intended use.
Marty

Many, many years ago someone offered a bracket and larger non vented rotors for the 1G rear. Would add more rear brake torque. I thought it was TCE but as you can see from above posts, Todd does not recall. This doesn't sound complicated to move it 1/2-3/4" but perhaps there is just no room. Would a manual line lock not work as a parking brake? Hold the brake pedal and apply. You would have to plumb it into the cabin and mount it somewhere however. If you need more rear brake bias you could install higher friction pads in the rear.

I did the 3kgt rear arm/brake swap about 5 years ago, still running strong.
One day i'll complete a writeup :p

Many, many years ago someone offered a bracket and larger non vented rotors for the 1G rear. Would add more rear brake torque. I thought it was TCE but as you can see from above posts, Todd does not recall. This doesn't sound complicated to move it 1/2-3/4" but perhaps there is just no room. Would a manual line lock not work as a parking brake? Hold the brake pedal and apply. You would have to plumb it into the cabin and mount it somewhere however. If you need more rear brake bias you could install higher friction pads in the rear.
You can also put in an adjustable line bias valve to give the front brakes (or rear, but not usually used that way) more or less pressure.
That Wilwood manual caliper looks IDENTICAL to our gocart brake calipers, completely manual, and we change them out for hydraulics ASAP as they never stop a cart fast enough.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back