The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 1g rear brake upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxeclipsed

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2004
Greenwood, Indiana
I am in the process of swapping out my front brakes for CTS-v front calipers and 13" cobra rotors. I would really like to be able to add a 2 piston brembo to rear as well with a similar sized rotor. I have searched around and cant seem to find very much info on 1g rear brakes. I have seen all the stuff for evo brembos on a 2g but i know the rear brakes are different. Does anyone know of any options? i am not against making some sort of a custom bracket.

Thanks in advance

Major rear brake upgrades aren't very popular on 1g's for 2 reasons:

1) Even in hardcore roadrace applications, no one seems to be noticing much problem with overcooking the stockers.

2) Since #1 seems the case, the legwork to adapt a parking brake to a thicker rotor/better caliper setup hasn't been explored, to the best of my knowledge.

I was wondering why it was so hard to find anything on upgraded rear brakes. I am by no means a hardcore road course racer. I am just looking for something alittle different i like to fabricate and dont mind putting in the work.

Im just looking for a good starting point and it seems like the evo brembos are the logical place to start.

underradar thanks for the info.

3s trail arms look to be adaptable, opening up that possibility. If the parking brake is in any way adaptable to our vehicle, this may be a solid option. It would undoubtedly add a bit of weight but make a real race style caliper and rotor possible while having a drum-style P. brake aka, only one visible caliper.

It's likely all just bling. My rear brakes don't even get hot enough to burn off the Krylon I sprayed over the rust on my rear calipers.

The car is going to spend the majority of its time on the street and a big part of this is the bling factor. the parking brake seems to be the biggest problem. im hoping to get a friend to let me steal the brakes off his evo since he just blew up a motor.

Gsxeclipsed,just to let you know that cobra rotors are too thin for ctsv calipers. The first guy who did the swap had to shim the brake pads. CTSV calipers were meant for 1.3" thick rotors and cobra rotors are 1.1". Try finding thicker 13" rotors so you don't have to shim the prake pads, the 03 vipers 13" rotors has 1.3" thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3sx rear brakes are actually a smaller diameter than that of the 1g.

The more brake up front, the more load it takes off the rear. Like underradar said, the rear brakes don't get that hot. To me, this translates to: "if it ain't broke..."

As you said, though, the logical path would be the Evo Brembo's. You'd have to get the Evo rear hub assemblies, brembos, rotors, etc. It's not gonna be cheap, but I say go for it if you want some extra work. Personally, I would spend it somewhere else. Just my .02.

Pete

Something I'd like to mention, 3S trail arms appear to be compatible/swappable to a 1g, outside of the question of whether the parking brake is adaptable. I will be looking into this swap if I find my OEM rotors/calipers getting too hot like, when I get to be a fast guy. :p

Reason being, the inner drum p/brake deal allows a thicker, aftermarket rotor-caliper package.

I have no idea as to the swapability of the EVO components in question.

What about using the stock caliper with a taller rotor. A bracket would be the same deal as the front setup. You could use your stock front rotor and put it one the back. It would be 'blingy-er' and give the caliper more leverage.

Stock front rotor is vented while the rear is solid.

What about using the stock caliper with a taller rotor. A bracket would be the same deal as the front setup. You could use your stock front rotor and put it one the back. It would be 'blingy-er' and give the caliper more leverage.
Way too much hydraulic advantage, for starters, to the rear brakes, if that is remotely the correct terminology. :notgood:

Been down that road. It's fun:hellyeah: for like, 2 turns.

too much bias perhaps?

Thanks for the input guys.

KMV ill look into the viper rotors another option i looked at are these brake pad shims.

I am not worried about the evo rears not working right away because they will always be worth money as long as i dont modify the caliper. I have seen some deals on them come up on ebay and the evo forums. These are just ideas and like i said its some what for the bling factor i know my car isnt the fastest car ever but its fast enough for me and i want something different.

too much bias perhaps?
Yeah. :hellyeah: I thought the bias was set pretty close (I have driver-adjustable bias) from driving on the street. Then heading into turn 5, fast, the car felt like it wanted to go into the turn backwards, like a dirtbike. It was a pucker moment 'till I figured out why it was happening, then I started dialing out rear bias.

Notice to all (gsxeclipsed) who are toying with the idea of adding more rear braking power. You do not want to find out you have too much rear bias in traffic, nor do those driving next to you.

You have been warned.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back