The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 1g rear brake upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitherines

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2004
East Moriches, New_York
Hiya, my rear calipers are frozen, so I figure Id put better brakes on. What can I upgrade the rear brakes to?

Also, what are the best pads/rotor combo?

You're rear brakes really don't do anything when it comes to stopping power. Just replace them with some remanufactured calipers and spend that money you were going to use to upgrade them on something that would yeild more improvments on your car.

BUN

PS. I hate those rear calipers, one of mine is semi stuck too.

Well I can get brand new mitsu calipers at cost, so I might just go with that.

There are very few rear brake upgrades that I know of. You can do a slotted rotor, but it won't help initial braking ability, it will only help prevent brake fade. Another option is changing to a different compound brake pad. A semi-metallic pad will perform better, but only when warmed up to a certain tempurature. They will also cause more brake dust and can be noisier. A ceramic pad will work better at lower temperature, but will lose performance at higher temperature. The good thing about ceramic pads is they are quieter and produce less brake dust.

But most ceramic brake pads rip up rotors left and right... As the ones I sell at my work have a ceramic in them apparently slightly stronger than the metal used for our rotors and then rips them up and you end up replacing rotors more than you do brake pads.

But most ceramic brake pads rip up rotors left and right... As the ones I sell at my work have a ceramic in them apparently slightly stronger than the metal used for our rotors and then rips them up and you end up replacing rotors more than you do brake pads.

As far as I know this is wrong. Semi-metallic pads (which means a pad with many small chunks of metal) will wear through a rotor faster because of the metal to metal contact. A ceramic pad will usually last longer. Although some manufactures will make a pad very hard so they will last a really long time (to allow them to meet insane mileage warrantys that some companys give.) The only good thing about these is the mileage, but they will wear through rotors very fast, cause a lot of noise, and cause a lot of brake dust.

FWIW, I have a set of NAPA ceramic brake pads...

DON'T get them. One or two stops from 100mph and they are so heat soaked you can barely stop. Worthless. :notgood:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back