1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G : Driver's side shoulder belt not retracting when door is closed.

Posted by DSM1G90, Aug 14, 2020

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    Little help on this, if possible:

As with older cars, things will begin to show up and want to break down.
    My 1990 Laser is showing a bit of that.

Got it in the vehicle yesterday, and the shoulder belt wouldn't retract after closing the door and key was inserted. Passenger shoulder belt works fine - no issues here.
    Did I lose a sensor or similar? A wire gone hooey?
    Nothing out of the ordinary has ever been occurring.

If a part is needed, would there be a MB number to use to order what might be broken?

Thx a bunch - DSM

2K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    · 1G DSM
  2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    There is a sensor in the latch and one on the door frame on the body at the bottom, likely one of those isn't working right due to corrosion, do the interior lights come on when you open the drivers door?

Drag Race Build 4K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    Yes, I do have dome light and even tried to see if that's the issue. I didn't know of the one in the door frame. Where would that one be at? thx

2K  0

· 1G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Its part of the door latch assembly, you would need to pull the interior door panel to access it.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    Very good and thx for your help .. Any idea of a MB number on this if this part is defective?

2K  0

· 1G DSM
  6. benspilk09

benspilk09 Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2010
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    There are lots of issues that can cause the seat belts to malfunction. There are position switches at either end of the track, and there is a switch built into the door latch. You can test all of them with a multimeter. There is also a controller located in the drivers side sail panel area.

Mine failed a few months ago, and after several hours of diagnosis, i traced the problem to a bad relay on the seat belt motor itself. Thank god there was a 1g in my local pick n pull, I was able to get the part I needed. The relay happened to be a pretty common mitsubishi part number.

Street Build 367  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    If you get in a pinch, I have the whole motor and track assembly from my 90 gsx in the garage rafters, since I switched to manual Canada model belts. Electric parts can all fail like a light bulb. Motors, relays, switches. Wiring issues can often be intermittent.

Street Build 553  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM