The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1998 Spyder GS 4g64 Timing Belt

Schwebe101

Proven Member
Nov 10, 2011
Defiance, Ohio
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1998 GS Spyder with the 4g64 for $350. It threw a timing belt and needs a new head and timing kit.

I have done many small repairs on lots of different cars but have never taken a head off or touched timing components. I am wondering if this is a good place to start with the SOHC engine? I can't find any writeups on how to work on this engine so if anyone has resources or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

I have found a working 4g64 head for 200 bucks so I am hoping to keep costs down. The main thing I want to get from this is knowledge.

spyderdrifter

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2009
Some where, Colorado
If it were me, I'd throw a 4g63 head on it and have a nice 2.4 turbo engine. However, if you're just trying to fix the sohc as is, then definitely start with the head and timing belt. Don't forget to replace the belt tensioner as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Feal Suspension Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com OHM Racing Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing SouthBay Fuel Injectors STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds