The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Spyder 4G64 Mechanical Timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make sure your crank sensor trigger plate isnt backwards

How do i know if its backwards? This is my 1st DSM and I have been learning as i go cuz not much info out there on this car

Its 2.4L SOHC

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is this correct cuz i dont want to mess up valves

Last edited by a moderator:
The SOHC engines are non interference, so no worries of bending valves. I was very familiar with the 2.4s back in the day but its been years. Just to make sure that youre engine is tdc on #1 cylinder, take a long screwdriver and put it down the cylinder 1 spark plug tube (spark plug not installed of course) and as you rotate the engine watch the screwdriver and when it peaks, youre at TDC, compare that with the marks on the engine.

The SOHC engines are non interference, so no worries of bending valves. I was very familiar with the 2.4s back in the day but its been years. Just to make sure that youre engine is tdc on #1 cylinder, take a long screwdriver and put it down the cylinder 1 spark plug tube (spark plug not installed of course) and as you rotate the engine watch the screwdriver and when it peaks, youre at TDC, compare that with the marks on the engine.
ok i did that using my oil dipstick since no screw driver long enough. i got another question . before i decided to do a new timing belt since the motor has 152k on it i lost my idle . i didnt know about the iac valve so i did a dumb move and adjusted my air fuel mixture screw on my throttle body to get it to idle . now im running lean and was told those screws are not supposed to be adjusted plus it was hard to start on a cold start . is there anyway to adjust it properly or atleast back to factory ? and thank you for the fast responses and knowledge

ok i did that using my oil dipstick since no screw driver long enough. i got another question . before i decided to do a new timing belt since the motor has 152k on it i lost my idle . i didnt know about the iac valve so i did a dumb move and adjusted my air fuel mixture screw on my throttle body to get it to idle . now im running lean and was told those screws are not supposed to be adjusted plus it was hard to start on a cold start . is there anyway to adjust it properly or atleast back to factory ? and thank you for the fast responses and knowledge
Adjusting that screw doesnt affect the air fuel ratio. Its just for adjusting idle. Its perfectly fine to use that to dial in the idle until you replace the IACV. But yes, cold start will still be rough until you replace the IACV. So yea, its not a big deal.

Did you go over every connector you unplugged and make sure they are correctly plugged in? Double check the ac plug. May not apply to 4g64 spyder but 4g63 there are two identical plugs that can get confused. Ac and coil I believe.
This was a running car before attempting belt change?

yes i checked every connector and all vacum lines. problem was my air fuel mixture screw was messed with so made me too lean
Again there is no air fuel ratio screw that can make you go lean. There is an idle screw. What was the problem? I want to make sure some gremlin doesn't show up.

Again there is no air fuel ratio screw that can make you go lean. There is an idle screw. What was the problem? I want to make sure some gremlin doesn't show up.

ill send a pic of the screw that got messed with its the one on top of the throttle body not the one by the throttle cable. honestly i dont know why i lost idle . i put on a flowmaster and went to start up and had no idle.so i went back to the straight pipe and barely had any idle so we adjusted this screw and barely idled.

Did you go over every connector you unplugged and make sure they are correctly plugged in?

This was a running car before attempting belt change?

yes my car was running fine besides low idle. so i figured 152k miles its time for timing belt change. also i had alot of black suit build up in my intake so cleaned intake with that sea foam spray for doing intakes.

Adjusting that screw doesnt affect the air fuel ratio. Its just for adjusting idle speed. Its perfectly fine to use that to dial in the idle until you replace the IACV. But yes, cold start will still be rough until you replace the IACV. So yea, its not a big deal.

ok so replace iacv ? i heard can get by right now just cleaning it

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back