The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX tuning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caseyrobinett_2011

Proven Member
Mar 4, 2016
Crestline, Ohio
I just purchased a 97 GSX automatic (wanted a 5 speed :cry:) and had to do some repairs but now I'm getting ready to tune it because the PO I bought it from put a 16g turbo on the car and I'm not sure it was tuned at all.

I'm totally lost on the tuning aspect of these cars. I'm new to the whole turbo AWD thing and don't know were to start with the tuning. I know everyone recommends DSMLink but for now, I'm trying to stay away from that until I learn a little more about the car and how they run and are supposed to operate.

So my question is what other tuning ways are there that everyone has had good luck with such as programmers or chips or anything like that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 2g autos are the fastest DSMs these days. The auto tranny is much stronger than the 5spd and its less hassle overall. Its a good thing you have an auto, its the new hip thing.

Did the car pass emissions?

Is there a safc and maf translator on your car somewhere?

Do you know what size injectors are in it?

You should probably start saving for Link, you can also source a 99 ECU and run EvoScan for the basics, cheaper.

I just got the car and i picked it up very cheap because the PO started to hear a knocking noise, freaked out and sold it. So currently I am fixing the problem which was a broken balance shaft and I'm replacing some other odds and ends.

The reason I'm looking into the tuning now is i like to plan ahead and i know that DSMLink is the best thing going but I am still learning about the car and how to tune and what not. I am looking just get the car up and running in a safe manner. The injectors I believe are stock along with all the fuel system the only upgrades are the 16g turbo, a FMIC, all steel bottom end, nothing bored or stroked and I am currently putting ARP head stud head gasket, BS delete, oil pump with all gaskets, new larger oil port lifters, Gates racing blue timing belt, AEM wideband and boost gauge combo, New rod bearing and new main bearings.

Definitely look into ECUFlash if you are short the money to go with DSMLink. You will need a 98-99 ECU but this tuning platform is very easy to use and it has all the main options that DSMLink has without some of the bells and whistles.

That's if your looking to get into full tuning. But It sounds like your goals may be on the mild side so don't brush off just going with an SAFC to run the injectors. Many have run them and while they don't offer the control of a full tuning platform they do work on milder builds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back