The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD: Prototype

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Update:

On Friday, March 23, I was pretty interested in taking the talon out to go pick up some groceries (I was craving tacos that night and how can anyone resist getting taco gear in the talon...?!), despite there being a higher potential of salt still being on the ground. Matt was hesitant about the salt but we decided if it was terrible, we'd turn around.

We drove about 3-4 miles or so down the road and we were just exiting a roundabout when all of a sudden Matt said, "PULL OVER!" and said to turn the car off. I hadn't noticed the smoke coming from under the hood. Pulling over to assess the situation, we noticed there was coolant EVERYWHERE. It was real sketchy to get the car back home and we got close enough where Matt could run (on foot) home to get some water to finish the rest of the journey to the garage. Feeling very annoyed about my delay in getting tacos, I just said forget it, it's getting dark, let's figure it out later. So we put it off for a few days.

Thinking it had to be the head gasket because it's a 1.6 head and was certain it just wasn't holding up to the power levels it was at. I had been contemplating changing over to a different head anyway so it was just the perfect time to do that! So, the following Monday we tore apart the car but noticed it seemed to be perfect. The head gasket and the head were PERFECT.

IMG_9064.JPG

IMG_9065.JPG

IMG_9066.JPG

IMG_9067.JPG

This lurking feeling of, "we should probably check everything else since it's apart" was hovering over our heads so we decided to take a glance to confirm nothing happened.

Well, it happened.

We noticed the smallest crack in the cylinder wall of the block itself at about the 7 o'clock mark on the exhaust side of #4 right where the fill line is (it's a half-fill and the crack ran right alongside it). I was completely devastated by it so after we tore it apart, I said we had to wrap things up and walk away until I figured this out.

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9078.JPG

After doing significant research on it, our minds were completely blown by what we found and heard from some very well respected members in the community (information we hope to share once we confirm some things and get permission from those who shared their knowledge with us).

We've decided to do some figuring stuff out on our own and I've made the decision to do a wet block but bored as little as possible. Likely .005". Just to see how far I can push it because who doesn't want to test random things out and really force Prototype to live up to its name. From there, likely see what a full-fill does on the street because why not. I get some strange enjoyment out of being completely frustrated with my car ;)

So, currently the block is at the machine shop (Class One in Freeport, IL) and I'm lookin' forward to getting this thing back on the road for taco trips again :)

Attachments

• IMG_9075.JPG
    IMG_9075.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 143
I think that going for an absolute minimum overbore is a great idea. I'd also be knocking down compression some as well as using a piston with a full round skirt, and not the little mini skirts like a wiseco 1400hd. I wish there was shelf stock JE .010 over pistons.

Really interested to see how it all works out.

I really like that oil cap.

Update:

On Friday, March 23, I was pretty interested in taking the talon out to go pick up some groceries (I was craving tacos that night and how can anyone resist getting taco gear in the talon...?!), despite there being a higher potential of salt still being on the ground. Matt was hesitant about the salt but we decided if it was terrible, we'd turn around.

We drove about 3-4 miles or so down the road and we were just exiting a roundabout when all of a sudden Matt said, "PULL OVER!" and said to turn the car off. I hadn't noticed the smoke coming from under the hood. Pulling over to assess the situation, we noticed there was coolant EVERYWHERE. It was real sketchy to get the car back home and we got close enough where Matt could run (on foot) home to get some water to finish the rest of the journey to the garage. Feeling very annoyed about my delay in getting tacos, I just said forget it, it's getting dark, let's figure it out later. So we put it off for a few days.

Thinking it had to be the head gasket because it's a 1.6 head and was certain it just wasn't holding up to the power levels it was at. I had been contemplating changing over to a different head anyway so it was just the perfect time to do that! So, the following Monday we tore apart the car but noticed it seemed to be perfect. The head gasket and the head were PERFECT.

View attachment 539998

View attachment 539999

View attachment 540000

View attachment 540001

This lurking feeling of, "we should probably check everything else since it's apart" was hovering over our heads so we decided to take a glance to confirm nothing happened.

Well, it happened.

We noticed the smallest crack in the cylinder wall of the block itself at about the 7 o'clock mark on the exhaust side of #4 right where the fill line is (it's a half-fill and the crack ran right alongside it). I was completely devastated by it so after we tore it apart, I said we had to wrap things up and walk away until I figured this out.

View attachment 540003
View attachment 540004

After doing significant research on it, our minds were completely blown by what we found and heard from some very well respected members in the community (information we hope to share once we confirm some things and get permission from those who shared their knowledge with us).

We've decided to do some figuring stuff out on our own and I've made the decision to do a wet block but bored as little as possible. Likely .005". Just to see how far I can push it because who doesn't want to test random things out and really force Prototype to live up to its name. From there, likely see what a full-fill does on the street because why not. I get some strange enjoyment out of being completely frustrated with my car ;)

So, currently the block is at the machine shop (Class One in Freeport, IL) and I'm lookin' forward to getting this thing back on the road for taco trips again :)
Wait, the last update for this build thread was when? Boo!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back