The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

18x8 front 18x9 rear on a 2g gsx...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

for the rims? 255 to 275 width. However that width tire won't fit with a +38 offset as you'll rub the knuckles in the front, as well as both front and rear fenders. You need to give up on the 9" wide rim if you don't want to start dealing with fender modifications.

the only way he could fit that wide is if he lifts the car or a wide body kit. 235 will be just as close to best as you can .

and a 275 will not fit . it is hard to fit 255 on 16" rx7 wheels on our cars

most wheel shops have a Checker .that will tell you how wide ,how tall ,and offset/inset you can go .ask around .and then get the widest you can go

also for example . 225-40-18 (or whatever size) 225mm wide--40% of 225 =side wall height (tip of rim to tip of tire--rimsize

I've seen a couple of guys here running 235/40/18 tires on 18x8.5 +38 offset and he other one 18x8.5 +41 offset. And that makes me think that I migh be able to run 18x9 +38 on 235/40/18.

I'm running 8.5 in wide rims with 245-40-18's for tires and a +30 offset. no rubbing and the wheels don't stick way out either. they're pretty much flush with the fenders. I think they look pretty good.

I'm running 8.5 in wide rims with 245-40-18's for tires and a +30 offset. no rubbing and the wheels don't stick way out either. they're pretty much flush with the fenders. I think they look pretty good.

Do you have any pics?

these are the only pics I have on this computer at the moment...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I do have a couple shots on my other computer that are top views of the fenders that I can post tomorrow.

I've been looking for a new set of wheels for my car and I just found some that I like. They are 18x8 +38 offset for the front and 18x9 +38 rear. Im also wondering if this tires would be ok for this rims 225/40/18 front 235/40/18 rear. Thanks in advance for any reply.

1. You can't run different radius tires on an AWD DSM.

2. Ignore us, try it, and come back and tell us what failed first.

I don't know how many times we have to go through this.

if you're gonna run that wide of a wheel, you might as well go with the widest tire you can fit on there. atleast that's what I would do

i didnt find exactly what "im" looking for.
Well, I was replying to the member who started the thread, who happens to have a 2G AWD, and not necessarily to anything you wrote.
my rims are i think 7.5 wide but nitto says my tires are 9" inches wide and the edge fits flush with the rim ??

i looked threw the link but was kinda confused
The first link applies to 2Gs only. The second will show you the difference in diameter of up to 4 tire sizes, and tell you how far off your speedometer will be.

You use 225/40R18 correct? The width of a 225mm tire means different things to different manufacturers. Some 225 tires will have a tread pattern exactly 8.86 inches (225mm) wide, while some other makers prefer to make the tread extend down the outer edges differently or just add more width for a particular performance goal. You should use the manufacturer recommended width of the specific tire you want that they say will fit correctly on the width of rim you have. With a 7.5" wide wheel you can't really go wider than a 235mm safely in most cases.

I have limited 1G tire fitting experience, so I'll leave that question to someone else.

Well, after looking at your wheel and tire combination, I think I'm gonna go with 18x9 and 245/40/18 on all four wheels. Let me know if I'll be ok.
The wheel offset will be critical with that wide a tire if you want the tire to tuck (legally) underneath the fenders and still not rub the knuckles. Have you looked at the chart I linked?

Edit: Keep in mind that a 245/40R18 tire is also a significantly larger diameter than stock, which will adversely affect clearance. If the car is lowered much, it will more easily bottom out the fender onto the tire if you're not using a stiff set of springs and dampers.

Confused on how he got to 10-15mph on a 2 wheel roller, My first trip threw emmisions way back in the day the guy also didnt belive me and also told me that no cars were 4x4s only trucks. So i laughed and said ok...He set me up on the rollers and said allright for it. I climbed right outta the rollers instantly. Those guys arnt Techs at all and i think the daily dose of fumes are burning up brain cells.

Why not do a member search for people running 18x9's and see what tires they have and if they had to do anything special? If it's not listed in their profile, send them a PM.

Actually this morning I found a couple of members running 18x9's with 225/40/18 tires an d they're cars look pretty good, but they're tires are streched up, I would preffer to run 235/40/18 because I've seen them on two other members running 18x8.5 rims and they don't look like that.

I have been running staggered set up for over a year now with 0 problems. My over diameter difference is only like .10 or something like that so it wont effect the drivetrain at all. Anything over .30 OD difference will cause probems in the long run.

You realize that 225 on a 9 inch rim is like 30mm too small? 225 are for a 7.5 inch wide rim comfortably. I will be running a 8.5 inch wide rim with 245s, and will NOT sit flush with the rim. a 245 on a 8 will in most cases. So, i dont see you running a 235 on a 9 inch rim unless its still stretched. Run a 8.5 and call it a day with 245!

James :dsm::talon::laser:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back