The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

14b w/ 7cm housing, having problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmdeliveryboy

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Ok so my 6cm housing on my 14b cracked so I decided to buy a 7cm housing, once I got into the market of looking for one I found out they are either very expensive or no one really carries them. So I bought a 7cm housing off the classifieds, the guy said it was a Genuine Mitsu Evo 3 housing and I get it and go to install my wastegate actuator and it doesn't fit right. I had to make the original hole that the flapper connects to bigger by drilling it out, once I was done with that I stuck it on and it doesn't quite fit right still, it has a slight bend it in. So I asked one of my friends and come to find out I got sold a eBay 7cm housing.. I bought another actuator because my stock one was slightly bent but the problems I'm still having is the arm has to be slightly bent to work on there and sometimes makes the flapper bind up a little. I've tryed looking for a "Evo III GT" wastegate actuator but haven't had any kind of luck.. Any ideas? :confused:

This is the best pic I have to give an example..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The problem is it's not a Genuine housing.

You'll have to drill the hole in the wastegate arm larger and most likely use shims under the actuator mounts on the compressor cover to make the arm the proper length. The other option would be to track down one of those adjustable Chinese actuators, but I don't know where you'd find one by itself. Occasionally they're on eBay.

exactly! that's an ebay 16g housing. If the dude sold you one telling you it was MHI, then you should get your money back. But in the mean time you need to alter your actuator arm. It needs to be straight. Cut it and thread it for a reverse threaded sleave and use the other end of the arm with a regular thread to make a nice adjustable setup. The chinese turbos actually have decent metal for their turbine hosuings. and they come preported for the 7cm^2 exhaust manifold.

The knockoff actuators use a straight rod which mates up to the extended lever on the knockoff turbine housing perfectly. The MHI actuator has the bend in the rod to mate to the shortened lever on the MHI turbine housings, so the two really aren't directly interchangeable without modification. It's been done, however.

Keep in mind you can't straighten the rod on the MHI actuator too much or the rod will become too long to meet the lug on the turbine housing lever.

I'm gonna try putting the shims on the actuator and see if that helps, in the mean time I'm gonna keep trying to track the ebay one =/

Is there any other turbos actuator that would fit properly? I'm gonna try and give one of these ebay 16g makers a call and see if they'll sell me a actuator.

Ok so I called CX Racing and they want $50 for a actuator...

The old garrett t3 actuators that come on turboford, GN, volvo cars have a straight threaded rod. They flange is different. But the flang could be easier to modify than the actuator arm. . . Just trying to give out some suggestions.

The old garrett t3 actuators that come on turboford, GN, volvo cars have a straight threaded rod. They flange is different. But the flang could be easier to modify than the actuator arm. . . Just trying to give out some suggestions.

Ok I'll look into those, what year volvo? I'm thinking a volvo one would probably be the easiest to look for.

Ok so I called CX Racing and they want $50 for a actuator...
Wow. A new MHI actuator is seriously $15 more.

What does that say for the quality of their $200 turbos if the actuator is worth $50? I was expecting more like $25 shipped for a new knockoff actuator.

Wow. A new MHI actuator is seriously $15 more.

What does that say for the quality of their $200 turbos if the actuator is worth $50? I was expecting more like $25 shipped for a new knockoff actuator.

Ya so was I... But I posted an ad in the WTB to see if anyone has anything, in the mean time I'll still be looking for Volvo actuator.

Well I still haven't been able to find a used ebay gt16g wastegate actuator and I'm sure not paying $50 for a new one, the new one I got works somewhat better than my old one I had on but it still isn't functioning 100% correctly which makes it very frustrating.. If ANYONE can help me in some way please PM me, I didn't think it would be this much of a pita to find an actuator. If my wastegate is opening and closing shouldn't I be able to control my boost? For some reason I can't boost over 13psi, before I installed this actuator it wouldn't go past 10-11psi. I'm gonna dick with it some more in a little bit and I'll post what I come up with.

I have an extra one, its still good. Maybe you can make it adjustable....better yet, I got a welder I'll make it adjustable, and send it to you for 25 shipped. If that's not the best offer you have found yet, then GTFO!! LOL

Last edited:
I have an extra one, its still good. Maybe you can make it adjustable....better yet, I got a welder I'll make it adjustable, and send it to you for 25 shipped. If that's not the best offer you have found yet, then GTFO!! LOL

I already have 2 14b/16g wastegate actuators, I need an actual chinabay 16g wastegate actuator. I'm tired of trying stuff and hoping they'll work, I just want it fixed and over with. If your saying you can make it and GUARANTEE me it will fit right and work 100% I'll look into it more.:thumb:

Yeah, I was going to make its rod adjustable in length.

Forget it, I don't think just making it adjustable would help. Sry.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back