The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

16g is in.. but boost is hitting 25+ psi.. any advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xucpxeclipsex

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2005
Santa Maria, California
hows it going.. i just put in the evo 16g and every time i floor it it hits 25+ psi.. i boost leak tested and it came out perfect.. fixed 2 boost leaks.. but it is still hitting 25+.. any advice??.. is it my wastegate??.. i have my boost controller and that isnt working.. is there any ways to check if my wastegate is working??.. or anything else??.. thanx.. i appreciate it

I'm not disagreeing with you blcknspo0ln,but lets not say it's boost creep just yet. Check all of your vac lines.Make sure you wategate is hooked up and don't boost 25+psi anymore untuned on pump, that could really mess your engine up. Anyway if you can post pics of how your routed the vac line to the MBC and wastegate, and what kind is it?

Derek:dsm:

well i have the vacuum line t'd off from the bov.. and idk if its boost creep ### it hits 0-25 like nothing.. and it doesnt stop/slow down..

If you have a bleeder type MBC (Home Depot type) those aren't as fast reacting as ball and spring design. I have a Buschur and I tapped my boost source to the J-pipe so that it would react faster to boost changes. Once you have a decent MBC and verify that your lines are hooked correctly, verify that the wastegate arm isn't obstructed from opening. I've seen a few installs where the arm was hung up and it would create severe creep.

If all of these things check out, then it'll be time to break out the carbide bit and the die grinder as mentioned above. Also, as Derek said, you can bust quite a few things up at 25psi so until you solve the issue, don't ever take it that high.

Hang in there,

Andy

1993TalonTsiAWD said:
I'm not disagreeing with you blcknspo0ln,but lets not say it's boost creep just yet. Check all of your vac lines.Make sure you wategate is hooked up and don't boost 25+psi anymore untuned on pump, that could really mess your engine up. Anyway if you can post pics of how your routed the vac line to the MBC and wastegate, and what kind is it?

Derek:dsm:

You are correct Derek, I was posting a tad bit late at night for my own good (4:30 am WTF ).
Thanks for providing the other side of the situation :thumb:

however even with proper porting of the turbine housing and o2 you still might get boost creep (like i did). I had my EVO 16g ported and my 2g o2 ported still had boost creep. i also had the new profec type-s EBC...my solution was a 34mm flapper instead of the stock 31mm flapper:dsm:

Simply sounds like your MBC is hooked up wrong or not working at all.

Run a pressure source straight to the Wastegate Actuator, this should bring you back down to 10psi.

You could also try using the o2 housing external wastegate, I am running the same turbo and have the same exact problem you are, so that is what I am saving for.

I'd go with the MBC first, it sure does sound like it's backwards, try switching the lines around, or put a stock one back on, and see as advised earlier, if the stock brings you back down and keeps you at 10psi, then the MBC was on wrong. Much luck... :thumb:

DSMSpyder99 said:
however even with proper porting of the turbine housing and o2 you still might get boost creep (like i did). I had my EVO 16g ported and my 2g o2 ported still had boost creep. i also had the new profec type-s EBC...my solution was a 34mm flapper instead of the stock 31mm flapper:dsm:

where do i get the 34mm flapper at??.. or how do i get it??..

rubixphx said:
I'd go with the MBC first, it sure does sound like it's backwards, try switching the lines around, or put a stock one back on, and see as advised earlier, if the stock brings you back down and keeps you at 10psi, then the MBC was on wrong. Much luck... :thumb:

Thats exactly what I was going to say. It really sounds like his MBC is hooked up backwards. This does not sound like boost creep.

xucpxeclipsex said:
where do i get the 34mm flapper at??.. or how do i get it??..
You should try everything that was posted before instead of spending money on a 34mm flapper right away. It might just be that your MBC is backwards, way better then spending the money on the 34mm flapper if you dont have to. :thumb:
-ADAM-:talon:

DSMSpyder99 said:
I had my EVO 16g ported and my 2g o2 ported still had boost creep.
Who and how was it ported?

xucpxeclipsex,

1. You should do what Andy suggested, tap your pressure source from the compressor/j-pipe instead of the BOV line, tapping off the BOV line can have serious conseqences.

2. take apart your MBC and tell us if there is a ball and a spring in it, a picture would be great.

3. Describe in detail how it is hooked, fitting to fitting. Your bcs isn't still hooked up is it?

4. What changed before and after the turbo install, wasn't the MBC already hooked up?

oldman said:
Who and how was it ported?

xucpxeclipsex,

1. You should do what Andy suggested, tap your pressure source from the compressor/j-pipe instead of the BOV line, tapping off the BOV line can have serious conseqences.

2. take apart your MBC and tell us if there is a ball and a spring in it, a picture would be great.

3. Describe in detail how it is hooked, fitting to fitting. Your bcs isn't still hooked up is it?

4. What changed before and after the turbo install, wasn't the MBC already hooked up?
what are these serious concequences from T'ing the bov

Get a better MBC, I have a TurboXS standard MBC that works great, and I have it hooked up to the J-pipe and wastegate, try that setup, but dont run your car at 25+ boost, without the proper supporting mods, you can say byebye to your engine reallllll soon.

You haven't really got into detail other then it boosts to 25. Does it boost to a lower pressure first, then creep up to 25 as the rpms go up? If it does then its boost creep, if its boosting right to 25 psi after spool, then you probably have a wg or mbc issue. The mbc could be adjusted wrong, installed wrong or you could have a defective wg thats not opening. First test would be to take the pressure source (preferably from the jpipe or close to comp ic pipe) directly to the wg. You should see boost in the low teens. If this happens then its a mbc issue, if your still hitting 25 the same, then you need to investigate your wg some more.

DSMSpyder99 said:
SBR did my porting on my turbo and o2 Oldman
The author of this thread and this tech article also started with a SBR ported EVO3. Most vendor port jobs focuses on improving spool and increase flow, solving boost creep requires porting of different areas of the turbine housing.

Not sure this will help but if you have an ajustable wastegate it might be set to high. My 16g was set at 20 plus psi too(my guage only goes to 20lbs). There should be a 10mm lock nut on the waste gate losen it and take the arm off the flapper arm and un screw the waste gate arm untill you can slip it back on to the flapper without stretching the wategate arm to much. The arm will probably be held on by a lock ring or cotter pin. I did this and ran a vacume line from the j pipe nipple to the wastegate nipple and have it down to 10 psi. I ditched the mbc till I get some boost leaks fixed.

k.. well this is what i did.. i ditched my mbc for now.. and i took off my wastegate and made it "longer" so to speak.. and it kind of worked.. my boost hits about 17 psi in 3rd gear.. and runs fine.. except for the fact that the turbo doesnt spool fast at all.. it lags.. so what do u think i should do.. should i try making the wastegate shorter??.. or put on my mbc.. or what??.. oh yeah.. and i opened up my mbc and it had 2 balls and a spring.. is that what its supposed to have??.. or is there something else.. or should i only have one ball.. ### i had a different mbc and it only had 1 ball??... idk.. any advice would help.. thanx

I just want to make sure that you know you have been warned many times for not using proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization in your tech posts, is there a reason why you can't comply?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back