The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Would it be hard to tell if your trans was really rebuilt or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
I'm finally getting around to parting out my '91 Tsi since my engine decided to 'rapidly oxidise' on me.

Anyhow, I got to thinking about the 'supposed' trans rebuild that aamco had done on my car awhile back and my doubts about whether anything was done to it at all.

So, my question is this -- would it be difficult for a trans shop to 'conclusively' determine whether or not my trans was opened up and rebuilt like I was charged for? My stock unit hadn't been touched by anyone before or after the work they said was performed.

What I mean by 'conclusively' is being able to document and present evidence that would hold up in court -- if the trans had not been worked on.

How many miles have you put on the car since the rebuild? Do you have reciepts that say what parts were installed in the trans?

When I got a trans fixed in another car, my shop guy said some of the bigger companies don't replace all the stuff that can wear. Clutch packs have bands in them and they only replace the scorched ones not the slightly worn ones.

I guess I drove it for about 2-1/2 yrs and like I mentioned I wouln't be surprised it the thing wasn't even opened up at all so basically my question is whether the parts inside can be identified as stock or aftermarket or is there any other way to confirm whether that trans was even taken off the car and cracked open?

I was caught in a bad spot with these ####heads as I was about 1,000 mi from home and if I hadn't been so attached to the car I would of definately cut my losses by seling it and not dealing with them at all:mad:

There is only one band in the tranny, and four different clutch packs. Most of the time they won't replace the piston seals because it is extra work. They tend to cut alot of corners. You can tell very easily if its been apart before.

This is an old post and I still haven't gotten a good answer yet.

My trans was 'supposedly' opened up for a rebuild but can I easily verify this myself and if so, how?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back