The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

28,000GVW Cooler...... was it good or was it bad??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbeing1

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2005
Palm Beach, Florida
I got a sweet deal on a 28,00GVW Truecooler trans cooler for my 400whp gsx. Now, I couldnt pass this up ($70shipped), but in all the excitement i forgot about overcooling :( will this over cool my trans? I have 3500 race converter, shift kit, and end clutch kit. Is this over kill or can it be used? Thanks guys:rocks:

nvm, i just did a little research and found out trans fluid cannot be over cooled with a large cooler, only in extreme cold temps ( i live in florida, shouldnt have any problem with that LOL Plus im putting the cooler behind the fmic.

LOL i have the same cooler and nowhere near as much whp or trans mods done and its been good to me!

vaboys2ndgen said:
LOL i have the same cooler and nowhere near as much whp or trans mods done and its been good to me!

Yea its working great for me and my trans temps are amazingly low. I love it:thumb:

nice! glad i was part of that cooler choice.. sorta LOL.

what were the dimensions of the cooler and where did you install it? or pictures?

Measures 12x 11x 1 1/2. I put it in front of the radiator and behind my fmic....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
came with mounting brackets and just put them where I thought necessary.

why not in the stock location? just curious thats where mine is at, then again i dont have a FMIC yet LOL

Grab an FMIC and you'll find out why the stock locale won't work.

Did you just replace the stocker? Or are you using it in conjunction with?

I just orderd the 18,000GVW Truecooler, has anyone put it in the SMIC location? Anyway, thats what I plan to do, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

P.S.- Your lucky, wish I could get a 28,000GVW for $70

yeah idk what the deal with that was. the box i got did say 28k GVW though. LOL

yeah i plan on moving it to the stock sidemount location when i get a FMIC!
i got what your saying though, im almost certain my friend jon willraceforbeer*(i think is his sn) put his in that location or maybe we had just talked about it.

I hope mine comes in soon.... I am running without a cooler right now... OMG :nono:

Just taken it easy, I had to loop the lines b/c I couldn't get the stocker relocated in time for work. So my car is sorta limping this week... I am rocking the spare tire, no tranny cooler, and I looped the PS lines to boot... But the FMIC is nice.

I have alot of work to do this weekend, thats for sure

Sbeing1 said:
Measures 12x 11x 1 1/2. I put it in front of the radiator and behind my fmic....
came with mounting brackets and just put them where I thought necessary.

hey bro i bought the xspower 2g fmic off ebay, w/e.. hows the tranny cooler working for you with your fmic?

vaboys2ndgen said:
hey bro i bought the xspower 2g fmic off ebay, w/e.. hows the tranny cooler working for you with your fmic?

It's working great. My engine temps are down at normal. As you can see, the trans cooler is behind the fmic and in front of the radiator in that pic. Works good. :thumb: And of course, trans temps are low too. :)

nice i will be moving mine over and finishing the FMIC install tomorrow morning :)

Sbeing1 said:
I got a sweet deal on a 28,00GVW Truecooler trans cooler for my 400whp gsx. Now, I couldnt pass this up ($70shipped), but in all the excitement i forgot about overcooling :( will this over cool my trans? I have 3500 race converter, shift kit, and end clutch kit. Is this over kill or can it be used? Thanks guys:rocks:
Apologies for coming in so late on this. Those TruCool radiators are designed to self-regulate their cooling by the nature of thicker, cool oil and a design which allows it to skip going through the whole cooler if it's cold.
What I want to ask is if you installed the aux cooler in series with the factory in-radiator cooler, or did you just bypass it?

I completely removed my stocker and installed the new one in the SMIC location. Works good so far! Been on there more then a month now.

i know hotside is where the tranny cooler is at now but look at the size of that cooler. anyways do i really need to switch it to the other side?

vaboys, I thought you already moved the cooler after the fmic install?

I just mounted my fmic today. I still have to route my ic pipes so I'm trying to decide what to do about the cooler. I do not want it in the stock smic location because I am going to route cold air intake through there. I've been looking at mounting it sideways in the driver's side fender area, I just need to get longer rubber lines to run from the metal ones.

What did you guys do to stop from losing all your transmission fluid on the swap? I almost lost all my ps fluid on that one if it wasn't for shoving bolts up the rubber hoses and using visegrips to clamp them while looping. Thank goodness the metal lines that I tossed had enough fluid in them to fill my reservoir back up! LOL

Rice Over Wheat said:
vaboys, I thought you already moved the cooler after the fmic install?

I just mounted my fmic today. I still have to route my ic pipes so I'm trying to decide what to do about the cooler. I do not want it in the stock smic location because I am going to route cold air intake through there. I've been looking at mounting it sideways in the driver's side fender area, I just need to get longer rubber lines to run from the metal ones.

What did you guys do to stop from losing all your transmission fluid on the swap? I almost lost all my ps fluid on that one if it wasn't for shoving bolts up the rubber hoses and using visegrips to clamp them while looping. Thank goodness the metal lines that I tossed had enough fluid in them to fill my reservoir back up! LOL

i moved the tranny cooler to the passenger side behind the IC and in front of the a/c... radiator. basically in between the radiator and the oil cooler lines.

i drained my fluid when i moved the tranny cooler into a bottle i had and then was able to reuse the fluid once i finished :)...

:thumb:

A bottle, now why didn't I think of such an obvious solution... Did you use any additional tubing or did you just ditch the metal line and use the stock rubber ones?

Rice Over Wheat said:
A bottle, now why didn't I think of such an obvious solution... Did you use any additional tubing or did you just ditch the metal line and use the stock rubber ones?
well my Tru-Cooler came with new lines. so i actually had to cut them LOL. :thumb:

Defiant said:
Apologies for coming in so late on this. Those TruCool radiators are designed to self-regulate their cooling by the nature of thicker, cool oil and a design which allows it to skip going through the whole cooler if it's cold.
What I want to ask is if you installed the aux cooler in series with the factory in-radiator cooler, or did you just bypass it?

My car doesnt have a "in-radiator" trans cooler. It was outside of the car (like most people on this topic have, opposite the SMIC). I just took out the old one with old lines and put this one it with new lines.

Sbeing1 said:
My car doesnt have a "in-radiator" trans cooler. It was outside of the car (like most people on this topic have, opposite the SMIC). I just took out the old one with old lines and put this one it with new lines.

hm me tooo.....:thumb: :sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back