1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G WOT issue gas pedal stuck

Posted by aarixx3, Apr 19, 2015

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. aarixx3

aarixx3 Probationary Member

Joined Dec 8, 2013
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Have an auto 97 gst with an issue when WOT. Doesn't matter if it's at 10mph or 70 but when I bottom it out, it gets stuck in the floored position. Kinda scary and a serious issue, I am guessing the throttle cable... I usually throw it in neutral and hit the brakes,or stomp on the gas pedal to get it unstuck. Also know that my cruise control doesn't work not sure if it's removed or not, but it probaby doesn't have a non cruise control cable. What steps should I take to diagnose this?

2. rhodes2010

rhodes2010 Proven Member

Joined Apr 17, 2010
    Palmdale, California
    Same thing happened to me on a 96 GSX and freaked us out! Could not solve this and it drove me nuts until...

And I wrote about this somewhere on this forum - In the cabin. Where the throttle pedal is attached
    and the cable is attached and goes through the firewall. There was a piece of like plastic tube that was
    probably the inner lining to the throttle cable but broke off at 2 or 3 inches long and when we would WOT the little
    piece slide out and basically cannot slide back into the outer cable tube. It caused the pedal to stay stuck wide open like a stick just keeping it open.

Before I found this I was busy lubing the cable, looking for anyplace under the hood where it was sticking,
    looking for a mechanical problem.

I either glued the small tube back inside the firewall where it is supposed to stay. Or broke it off completely.
    So climb down there and move the pedal with your hand with engine off and stare at the spot
    where the cable goes through the firewall. You should only see cable and nothing else.

I did eventually take a cable out of a junkyard car, but never bothered putting it in because ours has not given me any trouble since finding this odd problem.

Good luck with yours.

3. 952g63t

952g63t Proven Member

Joined Mar 19, 2012
    Summit Point, West Virginia
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

Street Build 4K  6

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
    Schmegma likes this.
  4. Schmegma

Schmegma Proven Member

Joined Nov 23, 2008
    arvada, Colorado
    This! Get a non c/c cable and that should fix the issue. Also clean out the throttle body - might have some carbon build up

5. frankdsm179

frankdsm179 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 21, 2015
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Before you start swappin parts make sure that it is the throttle cable and not the throttle body. Physically turn the throttle body and make sure it doesnt get stuck there, also climb under the under the dash like stated above and watch the cable function

6. hotrodssnova

hotrodssnova Proven Member

Joined Feb 14, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Also check the grounds to the throttle body and intake manifold. Engine could be looking for a ground through the throttle cable and caused a spot weld somewhere on the cable.

Street Build 593  0

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
  7. TalonKaos

TalonKaos Proven Member

Joined Oct 3, 2012
    Eastlake, Ohio
    I had the "stuck wide open" mod too. You really learn how powerful your car is when It breaks the leash..haha. I went swerving across the double yellow into traffic before I got it stopped.

I've already rebuilt or replaced the parts involved but Im gonna look into this. Good information.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

Street Build 1K  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  8. born2race

born2race Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2011
    Wayne, New Jersey
    I remember when my pedal got stuck to the floor it was because the cruise control box attached to the throttle cable would seize up. Even though I never used the cruise control. I sprayed wd-40 in the box while opening and closing the throttle. Problem went away.

679  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  9. ADarling_GSTX

ADarling_GSTX Proven Member

Joined Mar 11, 2015
    Laurens, South Carolina
    The mechanical module for cruise control is above the fuse box. Check that, but you might have a kink in your throttle cable as a result of possibly bending it too far. Give the throttle cable an inspection.