The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Wiring Autometer Tach Adapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blurred Talon

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Paradise, NL_Canada
I'm swapping an S2000 cluster into my 96 Talon TSI AWD. I've got everything wired up except for the Autometer Tach Adapter (part #9117).

Here's the PDF on Autometer's site: http://autometer.com/productPDF/0561C.pdf
Eclipse/Talon is at the bottom, however from what I've read this diagram is for the 420A motor.

Currently I've got it wired up like so:
Red - Ignition Power
Black - Ground
Red/Green - White wire at the back of the cluster (goes to pin 58 on the ECU Engine Ignition Signal).
Gray - Signal output, connected to the Tach line on the S2000 Cluster.

Tach doesn't work with it wired this way so I'm wondering if I've got to wire into the coil pack or something. Any help?

I think I can help, but I have no experience with the S2000 cluster. I had to find the wire for the tach signal when I installed my Stack cluster. I even went as far as buying the Autometer tach adapter, but I had no luck. Eventually I used a pull-up resistor inline to change the signal. The odd thing is that my tach signal for my Stack comes from the wire off the power transistor in the engine bay and not the connector off the gauge cluster in the interior. It sounds weird, but I could never get it to work that way.
So for you, I would first try the same wire but off the power transistor for the ignition signal. If that doesn't work just use a pull-up resistor inline from that tach signal and it should work.

I have no clue how the pull up resister works. Can you explain it?
Maybe if I connect the cluster to the white wire on the transister it will work without the tach adapter? Might be worth a try. However I think the white wire on the transistor is the same as the white wire at the clutch and ECU. I'm going to look at the FSM to verify.

I know from swapping the S2000 cluster into other Hondas that the tach will work on them. However most Hondas (up until the newer ones) had Distrubtors.

I'm thinking of trying to the black/white on the coil pack harness. When I had an aftermarket 2 step (not Link), it had an in and out on it and the black/white wire was split.
From looking at the diagram on the Autometer site, I'd like it like this.
Red - Black/white wire towards harness/car
Red/Green wire - Black/white wire towards coil pack.

Try connecting it without the pull-up resistor to the wire on the power transistor wire. You may not even need to pull-up for the S2000 cluster. But if still nothing stick a resistor inline. I did mine about 2 years ago so it's fuzzy. I just went to look at my car and the resistor was covered with heat shrink, but I believe the resistor is just inline or there is a power source to the resistor that allows it to pull up the signal.
I remember Luv2Rallye helped me out with this years ago. So maybe he could chime in.

Grant, what wire are you using on the transistor? Also, how does one determine what value of pull up resistor they need?

I tried connecting the Tachometer Adapter to the coil today and still nothing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back