The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

White Smoke / Car Is Smoking White [Merged 7-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apeximprt2nr

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2005
Northern, New_Jersey
Alright guys, well I just finished my 14B install in my 95 GSX. All is well besides some minor oil leaks on the return line and the SS feed line at the filter housing. There was also a VERY minor coolant leak from the front banjo bolt on the turbo. I tightened it a tad and I think i went away. Now the turbo is spooling really late because I think there may be a leak before the turbo.
Now on to the problems.

1. The turbo does not smoke at all besides at WOT sometimes it blows out whiteish grey smoke. I'm trying to think of where it could be burning coolant. It never did this before the turbo install.

2. There was some white smoke the past 2 days at the manifold. I'm thinking its the shitload of PB Blaster that I sprayed all over the car but I'm not sure.

3. There's a smell coming from my engine that I can smell if I pop my hood and it becomes more noticeable when I'm driving and really get on it. It smells like burning plastic sort of, with a mix of burning rubber. The lower heat shield is not on the car because it's a pain to get on and I haven't put it back on because I haven't had time. Nothing is touching anything hot so I 'm confused...The only possible thing is maybe I pout on a new 4 ply exhaust mani. gasket as well as antiseize on most of the bolts and the turbo-mani. bolts.

Any help? Thanks.

Does it smell like you are burning way too much gas? I just had a problem where one of my injectors was constantly running. Turned out to be a chaffed wire in my harness for that injector that was grounding out. Just something you might want to look into.

Actually yeah it kinda did. It had a bit of a gas smell to it and before I sent the computer out to be fixed it was running really rich. I'm not sure if the computer fixed it or what but there's no more smoke. I'm not sure if it's still running rich but I should know within the next week or so since I dive about 100 - 150 miles a week and before a tank would only last me about 250 miles. I know that's not horrible but I should be getting over about 16 mpg on a completely stock car right? I don't boost a ton but I can have a lead foot sometimes. I don't know if this would affect mpg but I did have a bad PCV which was causing really high crankcase pressure.

its probably the head gasket it may also be a leaky valve or a ring out have yodone a compression test? how many miles on your beast?

It only has 700 miles on the motor. Everything was just done. I still have the synthetic oil in there for the break in. I'll see if it changes when I change the oil. Gas is actually spraying a little from exhaust tho. it was just rebuilt tho

It only has 700 miles on the motor. Everything was just done. I still have the synthetic oil in there for the break in. I'll see if it changes when I change the oil. Gas is actually spraying a little from exhaust tho. it was just rebuilt tho

WTFWTFHoly hell, gas is coming out of your exhaust?! What's your fuel setup, and what are you tuning with? Do you have a wideband so you can see what the AFRs are? I know brand new engines will smoke a little at first, but I'm not sure how long it's acceptable...

From your mods list, looks like you have a bigger fuel pump and no upgraded regulator-- is that true?

And I also don't see any type of management for your tune...

Last edited:
...and you're using synth oil for break-in oil? "HOLY CRAP", Batman! Thing will never get broken in properly!

(psst..! you're supposed to use cheap dino oil for break-in oil since you gotta change it every 100 miles or so to get the rings seated in correctly while the rings are cutting off the honing grooves in which the break-in oil captures the metal shavings to send them into the filter. You use synth oil, the rings will never cut off the honing grooves completely and then you've ran 700 miles on the original oil.."oh brother", you got metal shavings going all around in that motor destroying everything in its path since the filter is all but clogged with metal shavings....)

If he's dripping so-called "gas", that'd be tonnage of moisture condensation along with unburnt fuel coming from the motor, and prob why he has white smoke.

...maybe that's the whole problem: Motor not being broke in correctly and it's beginning to self destruct.

A little while ago I started sptting some white smoke out of the exhaust, I knew it was coolant burning. After some research and a good look at everything I found that I was pulling coolant through the FIAV in the throttle body. I decided to have the TB rebuilt and a FIAV block-off plate installed, problem solved. Just thought I'd throw it out there, it's something simple to check. Good luck with the problem, hope it's a simple fix like mine was.

I get a very small light smoke that comes out from my valve cover were it looks like it attaches to the rest of the engine, along with small amounts comming from my oil cap if I take it off right after the the car is running. I read that the little smoke out of the cap is normal, but what about the smoke comming out the side of the VC.

its the same smoke if its a lot you may be getting to much blow by or oil maybe over heating its not a big deal most of the time

I have heard could that be your valve seal?

I was thinking that to, I am leaking oil onto my VC. There is not much smoke, just a little bit, just another question is it normal for my engine to get hot? Well I know it suppose to heat up, but I never been in a car that get as hot as mine. The temp gauge holds a little below midway, but when the fan kicks on I feel allot of heat comming from under the car blowing out? Just wondering about that to cause like I said I never been in a car that blows out that much heat.:confused:

You probably need a new valve cover gasket and new o-ring for the oil cap..they are cheap the only thing is you will need a hour or so to change the gasket..make sure the oil isnt leaking on any of the spark plugs..i had the same issue and now my car runs great

I changed my oil cap ring already. Still pooling, so im pretty sure is my gasket, if not that I may need a new VC.

I know white smoke is burnt coolant, but would it come out my valve cover?

Blow by is the first thing that pops into my head. Could be head gasket, cracked piston, or just bad vc gasket. If you get a new gasket and the vc is still leaking oil then I would do a compression test just to rule that stuff out its really easy and better safe than sorry.

Its been leaking oil for years. I got these problems handed down to me along with the car. I hope the VC gasket is the issue casue I probobly wont afford to get those other things fixed, for a while. Is there anything else I should do when i change it, and does anyone have a link or instuctions on how to do it? It would help me go along better.

Last edited:
I would just spend the 20 bucks and get a shop manual for step by step instructions.:thumb:

were would I be able to pick that up at?. And looking at my VC there is a small amount of oil up by lettering, i also looked in the spark plug opening and there is small amount of oil around the gasket in there but does not seem to drip down and pool by the spark plugs, also I noticed today looking at my car that my oil filter is bubbled up by the black grip part, and when I touched a bubble it popped and a small about of oil came out, anyone had that problem before?

I looked at my filter while my car was running, it almost looked like the oil was sepping through. Im changing oil soon so I will just buy a better fitler.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back