The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Where is the horn/alarm system relay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaAssault

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2007
Tyler, Texas
Which relay under the dash in the one for the alarm horn in a '90? There are two relays right next to each other directly above the fuse box, then a third, bigger one above those two; and I am unsure which one is for the horn. The alarm horn does not work any more, and the normal horn only works when it feels like it; so I think the relay is a good place to start.

When you see the two that are next to each other above the fuse box, The one on the Left is the alarm/horn Relay.
Hope this helps , if you need help finding a replacement, just let me know.
-Ryan '98DiamondStar' Stockman-

Awesome. I thought it was the one on the left but I wasnt sure. How do I get it out? Because just yanking on it doesnt seem to work.

Should pull right out man. Be careful when doing this, but wiggle it side to side/front back while keeping constant pressure on it. it's probably never been out before. :) GoodLuck

Should pull right out man. Be careful when doing this, but wiggle it side to side/front back while keeping constant pressure on it. it's probably never been out before. :) GoodLuck

I got it out, but had to break the top plastic slide looking thing to do it. It was in there TIGHT! The connectors are still strait though, so I'd call this a success. I took the plastic case off, and everything inside looks pretty clean, shiny, strait, and where it should be. How can you tell if they are bad?

I got it out, but had to break the top plastic slide looking thing to do it. It was in there TIGHT! The connectors are still strait though, so I'd call this a success. I took the plastic case off, and everything inside looks pretty clean, shiny, strait, and where it should be. How can you tell if they are bad?

Well, one easy yet cheesey way to tell would be to listen to the relay when you or someone else press the horn. If you hear it click then it is working and your problem is further down the circuit. If there is no sound then your relay could be the problem or something prior to it like a fuse.

Well, one easy yet cheesey way to tell would be to listen to the relay when you or someone else press the horn. If you hear it click then it is working and your problem is further down the circuit. If there is no sound then your relay could be the problem or something prior to it like a fuse.

I can check the fuse while I am at it. Where is the fuse for the horn? Also, I might as well get a new relay since I am unsure about this one. Do you have one you were looking to get rid of?

You will have to look at the diagram on your fuse box, off the top of my head I do not know, my car is still in the shop so I can't check. And you should be able to find one for sale, through either an advanced autoparts, oreilly's, carquest, napa. It wasn't a specific part, mitsu/chrystler used about 3 different ones if that. So for the relay, just get the number off it, find another one with that number and it'll work. Good luck to you!:thumb: Hope I've been able to help.
-Ryan 98DiamondStar Stockman-:rocks:

Another useful check: OE Mitsubishi relays you can get the plastic cover off without destroying anything. (It snaps down; a carefully applied knife blade will let you ease it off.) After seeing how the thing is supposed to work push it back in the socket without the cover and squeeze the armature (hinged part) down with your fingers. If that makes the horn work the problem is earlier; if it doesn't then the trouble is most likely the horn itself.

For the bumper mounted horns you start diagnosis at the horn end -- they ALL fail sooner or later due to water getting inside and about the only other place for a failure in that circuit is the clock spring in the steering wheel if the car has fired its air bags. If your alarm horn is mounted on the firewall as the 2g ones are then that's not nearly as likely and the relay is the place to start.

I've got to temporarily disable the alarm system in my '95 GST because it will no longer let me back in the car without going off. The driver's door lock/latch mechanism has some problems and I'm betting that the switch that should tell the alarm system 'He opened the door with his key' is one of the victims.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back