The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Where is my charcoal canister, is there one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drives99gst

Probationary Member
Aug 14, 2011
wny, New_York
I need to find the charcoal canister location on our car. Its a 1999 GS-T.

I have looked through the forums, and googled for hours. Seems like there are several different answers, from under the battery tray to the driver side front bumper, to above the gas tank etc. Even found some people saying that the Mitsubishi documentation is wrong for their car.

Does anyone know for sure where it is? I am troubleshooting a P0446 code and need to check hoses and canister for leaks etc. (started with 4 codes, down to this one nagging one.)

I checked all hoses under the hood, and looks like the vapor hose goes back to the gas tank, but I do not see any canister. It is definitely not under the hood anywhere.

Yes, its possible previous owner removed it, but I don't think so.

Also, where would the purge vent solenoid be located? I think I found it on the driver side of the engine, but am not sure that it is it.

Insight on the location for our 1999 GS-T is appreciated.

Its the black canister under the battery tray

I looked everywhere under the hood. It is not there, unless its much smaller than I am expecting. It should be a big round canister right?

I saw in the other forum posts that they said it was under the battery tray, but it is not there, I took the tray off. And found the hose that goes back to the gas tank, no canister.

Do you have a 1999 GS-T?

Yes Mitsu moves it around different places, even from their documentation for your car. It's been under the battery tray, or behind the driver side front bumper under headlight, or near the gas tank, and even in the gas tank (some 2g NT cars). It depends on if you have T/NT, AWD/FWD, 2.0/2.4, ABS/noABS and the year (especially for 98 and 99 years) but like others have said, Mitsu sometimes doesn't always put it where their documentation says. My 99 GST has it under the battery tray yet Mitsubishi's own factory manual, which I have, shows it inside the gas tank. But it can be any of those places I listed (especially if car is not original).
Of course someone may have removed it too.

The evap emission purge solenoid is next to the intake mani drivers side down low. The evap emission vent solenoid will be where the carcoal canister is.

Last edited:
Found the canister.

Its by the gas tank.

Looks like the evaporative emission vent solenoid is not getting it's 12 volt power, causing the P0446.

Took it to a garage, they scanned it and told me it is not getting power, according t their fancy code reader. This may make sense, the previous owner removed the downstream O2 sensor to put in a AEM wideband gauge. He also put in the circuit to trick the system into thinking the O2 sensor was still there, so no O2 code.

But I am guessing he somehow disconnected the power to the solenoid as well. The garage printed out wiring diagrams for me for the car, and looking at them I immediately saw that the power to the solenoid is in line with the O2 sensor.

So, haven't looked at it yet, will tomorrow, but I am betting that the problem is that the solenoid is basically not getting power, if I can fix the wiring, should be good to go (crossing fingers).

Also wanted to add this update because of all the confusion on the location of the canisters. According to the diagrams the garage printed for my car, the FWD model, which mine is, the solenoid and canister are located "under center rear of vehicle". And the AWD model (not mine) is located "Behind Left Side of Front Bumper".

So this should all answer my questions.

Will try to post again after I actually look at the car and wiring myself.

Also wanted to add this update because of all the confusion on the location of the canisters. According to the diagrams the garage printed for my car, the FWD model, which mine is, the solenoid and canister are located "under center rear of vehicle". And the AWD model (not mine) is located "Behind Left Side of Front Bumper".
As I and many others have already found out, Mitsu does not always follow their own manuals (so you can imagine how messed up after market manuals are). So for others reading this, don't think the canister will always be where the manual says just because you have a FWD or a AWD. But it WILL BE in one of the 4 places I mentioned in post #4.

Update:

Charcoal canister on my 1999 GS-T is inside the gas tank. There is an access panel under the back seat.

And the original problem I was having, the P0446 code, was that the Evap Emissions Vent Solenoid was not getting power. Traced it down to very badly corroded connector under drivers seat. Corroded so bad that the 12v power to the solenoid connection was broken, along with the wire next to it. Just soldered the wires together outside the connector and all is good.

Just wanted to make sure this information is available for others when they search.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I myself just went on the adventure trying to find my evap canister to find it wasn't under the battery tray either. took some time to remove it. only removed it since I was having some vacuum line issues. mine is not a 99 but is a 98 gst and was in the tank as well.

Awesome thread you guys just what I was needing finally answered all of my location questions ..Where in the Hell is that Canister! I have 99 GST spyder 2.0l turbo FWD. I'm sure it will be in the gas tank as well and my evap emissions purge solenoid is up front driverside down low intake manifold

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back