The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Where are you guys getting your Holsets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsx ftw

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
510/408, California
I've been researching for a long time, and I've been looking for a while. I've searched on cumminsforum and haven't come up with too much, at least no unmodified HX40's. Nothing local to me and nothing on eBay either.

As far as the BEP housing, I plan on just getting that direct, or from the G-pop shop.

It'd be great if I could just have one built- a 6 or 7 blade HX40 w/ BEP housing already together to bolt onto a T3 manifold.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

Hell, I figure, while we're on the topic: I'm pretty set with trying to find an HX40, with goals of around 600 awhp. Details to follow later, but essentially the motor will be built to handle the power, thinking about 9.0:1 CR, stock head, cleaned up with better valvetrain and 272's, SMIC, haven't decided on what exhaust manifold to get yet though, tuning on Link on E85. Would an HX35 also suffice for my purposes?

You can check on eBay, or sometimes there will be a promotion for eBay on this site on the gray bar underneath the menu selectors.

You'll need more than a SMIC for 600awhp. Get a good sized front mount. There's a Holset Results thread on here where people have posted up their setups and hp numbers. That should give you a good idea on what does what.

I've been researching for a long time, and I've been looking for a while. I've searched on cumminsforum and haven't come up with too much, at least no unmodified HX40's. Nothing local to me and nothing on eBay either.

Hell, I figure, while we're on the topic: I'm pretty set with trying to find an HX40, with goals of around 600 awhp. Details to follow later, but essentially the motor will be built to handle the power, thinking about 9.0:1 CR, stock head, cleaned up with better valvetrain and 272's, SMIC, haven't decided on what exhaust manifold to get yet though, tuning on Link on E85. Would an HX35 also suffice for my purposes?

I've got two Holsets from ebay (one for $75 & one for $150).

600awhp? It's doubtful. Maybe the 7-blade HX35 pushed to the max in a T3 housing, but not in the DSM bolton housing and not an 8-blade.

As far as the BEP housing, I plan on just getting that direct, or from the G-pop shop.

It'd be great if I could just have one built- a 6 or 7 blade HX40 w/ BEP housing already together to bolt onto a T3 manifold.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

Get a phonebook and call every diesel shop you can find. Also contact jusmx141 on the these forums as hes pretty knowledgeable in in turbo rebuilding, has built several turbos for members on here and may have a couple holsets sitting around. I got my 8 blade 35x from a diesel performance shop in Clarks Summit Pennsylvania. Garaffolo Enterprises. Hes a got a myspace that he does everything out of. As far as 600awhp a holset 35 will not do that for you. I would highly recommend either a holset 40 or 40 pro in either a bolt on housing although the bolton housing is power limited, or a t3 housing to extract all it can give. Even with a holset 40 may you may struggle to get 600awhp as it will depend on your specific build, tune, boost level, efficiency of your set up. however you can definatley count on seeing 550-580 whp for sure. Just check out the results thread.

Also try www.goldfarb.com your going to need to know which exact holset you want though. Don't worry they will probably have it.

i bought my 6 blade hx40 on the classifieds here for 200. if youre looking for 600awhp, i think the hx40 is the way to go, imo. there are a few people making almost 700aw on that turbo. i wouldnt count on making that kind of power with a side mount, though. ill be using the punishment-racing fmic kit for my 600awhp goals, and id recommend it to anyone looking for a good, affordable kit. good luck on your goals.

What about those rebuilt units on ebay? Just wondering how those are. Looking to get an HX-35 down the road but makes me wonder how good those are.

i found one in michigan. the guy is unwilling to ship the turbo, he wants 50 bucks for it without the exhaust housing. :( ive been trying for days. he won't do it :( PM if your around michigan and wants it

theres a holset about 15 miles away from me for sale for 100...found it on craigslist

+3 on Jus141...i had a '141' turbo and beasted the living hell out of it and it ran perfectly fine for over 3 years before selling it with my TSi. I have also had 2 other friends order from him and had nothing but perfection with them. He is big into Holsets also, and can help out tons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back