The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What is this smoke? Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horizontalkev

Supporting VIP
Jun 28, 2010
great bend, Kansas
Smells rich, and doesn't look like the normal blown head gasket type of smoke. It comes and goes. And notice the residual smoke after the car shuts off. Whats the problem here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49GZBjYrMJ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm no expert but if it smells really rich it could be excess raw fuel in the exhaust. maybe change your plugs and see if it goes away.

The smoke dissapates quickly, it doesn't linger around like smoke from a blown head gasket would, and doesn't smell sweet.. Smells rich. My antifreeze looks fine, and my oil isn't milky colored. Maybe the turbo is sucking in something? There isn't any abnormal shaft play.

Looks kind like your turbo seals might be starting to go out. Check for oil in your intercooler from blow by if u suspect it to be sucking in something. When I got my car It had about a full qt in the stock SMIC.. just a thought

Last edited:
White smoke is water/antifreeze being burnt, black smoke is too much gas (too rich), and blue smoke is oil burning

This is what i always thought.... But was also told unburnt fuel could be a faint white smoke. Thats y i said i wasn't a expert LOL

I will check to see if there is oil in the intercooler tomorrow and get back to you guys..

And I have heard that burning gas could be a faint white smoke aswell but never seen it before so I have no idea

Yes i could be light colored from gas, it won't be as black as What u think. The fuel would be the last place I would try with What horizontalkev has going on

I agree my first guess would b a leaky head gasket. was just trying to help since he said it smelled like it was running really rich.

my car use to puff a lil white smoke that i assumed was the head gasket but i made it really smoke when the wastegate i got had a 25 spring setup in it not the 15 i was told and i ran 30lbs of boost on a stock headgasket and stock head studs. LOL :ohdamn:

to me it looks like right when you let off and let it idle down it pops, kind of like a small backfire. Then you get a puff of white smoke(unburnt fuel) What is your ignition timing set to?

I agree my first guess would b a leaky head gasket. was just trying to help since he said it smelled like it was running really rich.

my car use to puff a lil white smoke that i assumed was the head gasket but i made it really smoke when the wastegate i got had a 25 spring setup in it not the 15 i was told and i ran 30lbs of boost on a stock headgasket and stock head studs. LOL :ohdamn:

WOW Lol theres a recipe for disaster.... how long did that last you?

i had smoke coming out like that once..does it stutter when accelerating or let off the gas?
mine turned out to be spark plug wires,they werent bad but when i changed my valve cover to replace it i accidentally connected the wires in the incorrect order :/ fu**ed ecerything up

to me it looks like right when you let off and let it idle down it pops, kind of like a small backfire. Then you get a puff of white smoke(unburnt fuel) What is your ignition timing set to?

Yeah I noticed that aswell, how do I check my timing? I know absolutely nothing about timing. I have the "torque" app that shows timing, can that tell me?

i had smoke coming out like that once..does it stutter when accelerating or let off the gas?
mine turned out to be spark plug wires,they werent bad but when i changed my valve cover to replace it i accidentally connected the wires in the incorrect order :/ fu**ed ecerything up

It does stutter when I press the gas and then it kicks in.. But normally does it when My tank of gas is below half a quarter. But I just changed my wires to NGK. But no change

Yeah I noticed that aswell, how do I check my timing? I know absolutely nothing about timing. I have the "torque" app that shows timing, can that tell me?

[Ignition Timing]
Tuning 102 - Idle Tuning - YouTube

[If you want some good reading material on how timing works and how it affects the motor, this is some cool stuff.]
Advance Ignition Timing: What Happens ? - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

[Plug FAQ]
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/frequently-answered-dsm-questions/233421-spark-plug-faq.html

Enjoy!

I know this may sound stupid but timing lights actually give me a headache, like it strains my eyes to watch the flashing. what I've done before is used a camera to record it then watch the recording and call it good, but that was a good camera I used then. My phones camera doesn't like picking up the flashing lights very well.

I know this may sound stupid but timing lights actually give me a headache, like it strains my eyes to watch the flashing. what I've done before is used a camera to record it then watch the recording and call it good, but that was a good camera I used then. My phones camera doesn't like picking up the flashing lights very well.

Get your mom or somebody to help then LOL.

WOW Lol theres a recipe for disaster.... how long did that last you?

drove it for a week as i didn't notice the lil puffs/cloud of white smoke coming out. I had already ordered the MLS gasket and other parts for my lil street car build. the 30 PSI pull was one hell of a ride tho :hellyeah: LOL cant wait till its close to that every time i stab the throttle. LOL

Lol I think ill just suck it up and do it myself.. Its about time I stop acting like a baby LOL. Tomorrow at around 12 central time ill get back with results, and some ibuprofin LOL.

I did a little research and decided the app torque for logging timing is accurate so went that route. Base timing at idle (warmed up) jumps between 5-7* while WOT is around 30*. WOT seems high doesn't it? Does that mean Im running too rich? I lowered my boost to 15psi during these tests.

30 degrees of timing?! Thats astronomical, stock timing at WOT I think is like 18 (in a 1g). How warm was your car in this video? To me at first it looked blue-ish but then i couldnt tell.. Almost looks like when you first start it in the morning or night and its been sitting awhile.

Yea seems very high, It was a first gear pull though, does that make any difference? And I think I saw bluish smoke swell but couldn't tell. Last two days it hasn't smoked like that. I think the smoking was from just sitting a week without being started? Who knows. But my timing might be an issue

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back