The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Black smoke what is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm4lyfe12

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 8, 2010
Minooka, Illinois
Stupid question but,

Its a dark type charcoal smoke that comes out only while im in wot.
Perfect compression, but will valve seals cause this?:aha:
I was watching two step videos on youtube and noticed most cars smoke just like mine, should i worry?

When i see this in the past, its because the oil ring/scraper is worn and letting oil past the piston where it get burns up in the chamber.

It will not show up in the compression test if this is the case because your compression rings are still in good shape.

Or another speculation is that you are running rich in WOT. you could get a good tune and a gauge should solve this problem.

Yeah, im running stock boost. Typically, i heard that our cars run rich from the factory. But imo, these are brand new rings and bearings. Its not pouring out smoke, just a puff at wot.

Blue smoke is oil, white smoke is coolant/moisture, and black is fuel.

And having it at WOT your ecu is dumping alot of fuel. Check for intake leaks, make sure ignition system is maintained and test your o2 sensor. I know romping on it and in WOT alot of cars will throw out a black cloud.

Yeah, im running stock boost. Typically, i heard that our cars run rich from the factory. But imo, these are brand new rings and bearings. Its not pouring out smoke, just a puff at wot.

Do you have any wideband of some sort to monitor your air fuel ratio?

Yea, finding a used o2 housing should be easy see them al over b/c peeps upgrade the stock ones. And an o2 sensor for a plug a plag factory plug is like 60-80 bucks from auto parts store. The universals may be cheaper but I'd spend the extra so i wouldn't have to mess with a wire hack job.

big question everyone forgot to ask is what kind of exhaust do you have.
Are you runnning a Cat still?

Even without a cat you shouldnt have a huge plume of black smoke. More then with a cat but not to much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back