The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What is this sound? [with video]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munk

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2008
vassaboro, Maine
ok i just got my belt changed that goes to the alt for the second time in the last 6 months then i drive home every thing sounds fine i buy a can of degreaser get home let the car sit wash the car degrees the whole right side of the car to clean up the car and today when i start up the car i have this sound what the heck is it

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSlDH3xqMfQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSlDH3xqMfQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is your power steering fluid low or the resevoir empty. If not then try removing your accessory belts and start the car and see if the noise is gone. Dont let the car run for long since the water pump is driven off the acc belts. If you dont hear the noise with the belts off then you need to inspect the accessories.

ok what sound are you referring to? i hear a squeak like a bird chirp thats most likely from one of the belts. degreaser could have slightly changed the contact surface on the belt. i also hear like a metal on metal sound? possible that if the belts were tightened too much and one of your accessories has a bad bearing in it, the tight belt is putting more pressure on the bad bearing causing the noise. just my guess. its a bit tough to go on the video as i hear a couple noises.

good luck:thumb:

well i was referring to the the sound that sounds like i have no power staring fluid its coming outs the back area of the engine and i cant figure it out. my car keeps eating belts every 6 thousand or so

ok so if the belt is to tight why do they slip every time i start the car the alt is brand new maybe 10,000 miles also when i drove the car home from the shop it did not make the sound after i deg reseed and let the car sit for the night that's when it started making the sound. i just wanted to make shore the car wasn't gonna blow up i just payed it off last week

god i hope not the car pulls fine up to 110 mph just did it like yesterday cus some one was on my ass with he high beams on

i was thinking i have a big ass boost leak or something could all most pass for a sucking kinda sound i dunno im gonna get it looked at asap

that not a crankwalk for sure sound more like a cheap belt spent a little more on the belt.I have had problen with the less expensive belt it would run great at first then sound like sh-t after awhile

I'm only on my laptop so its harder to hear but it sounds like metal on metal. I had this same noise before my water pump went.

The inside where the impelers are started to eat the water pump housing and I got that noise. Idk why your belts are breaking.

But spin your pulleys with no belt on see if they wobble. Also checking them for sharp edges.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back