The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G What Is This Part Called On The Strut Tower

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dem0n

Proven Member
Jul 12, 2017
Black River Falls, Wisconsin
Im having issues with whatever this part is called wiggling and moving around. When I go to brake it likes to rattle. My towers have been cut and rewelded in that spot so I'm assuming whatever held it in place underneath broke off or something and Im trying to figure out what it's called so I can ask people how to fix it. Here's an example I got and circled in blue. What part is it? It comes off the upper control arm I believe.
Link to what im trying to figure out circled in blue: Example Picture
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Upper arm shaft assembly. The upper arm assembly pivots (up/down) on it.
Thank you very much. Now my other question is how do I make the one that's moving to stop. Like if you push do on the car it likes to move around and sometimes depend you can move it with your fingers. Would I need to weld it or something underneath?

It fits inside a heavy gauge steel sleeve that should be welded to the car. Perhaps your sleeve cracked, or they didn't put the proper size one on when they rebuilt the tower, or the shaft is the wrong size, broken, cracked, etc. When the nut is tight on the shaft you must not be able to move the shaft at all. You'll probably have to take it out and see what the problem is. Maybe even compare (measure shaft diameter and sleeve inner diameter and length) to the other side. It may be as simple as they used an aftermarket shaft that doesn't fit snuggly in the sleeve and some washers and/or an additional sleeve inside the existing one to take up the space is all you need. The shaft diameter must be the same as the sleeve inner diameter or it will wobble no matter how tight you set the nut or how many washers you use. That's a common problem with aftermarket shaft assemblies. The solution in that case is to put another sleeve of the right thickness around the shaft to act as a shim (take up the space between the shaft and existing welded sleeve). Or get another shaft of the correct diameter for the sleeve that's in there (although I doubt you'll find it).

Last edited:
It fits inside a heavy gauge steel sleeve that should be welded to the car. Perhaps your sleeve cracked, or they didn't put the proper size one on when they rebuilt the tower, or the shaft is the wrong size, broken, cracked, etc. When the nut is tight on the shaft you must not be able to move the shaft at all. You'll probably have to take it out and see what the problem is. Maybe even compare (measure shaft diameter and sleeve inner diameter and length) to the other side. It may be as simple as they used an aftermarket shaft that doesn't fit snuggly in the sleeve and some washers and/or an additional sleeve inside the existing one to take up the space is all you need. The shaft diameter must be the same as the sleeve inner diameter or it will wobble no matter how tight you set the nut or how many washers you use. That's a common problem with aftermarket shaft assemblies. The solution in that case is to put another sleeve of the right thickness around the shaft to act as a shim (take up the space between the shaft and existing welded sleeve). Or get another shaft of the correct diameter for the sleeve that's in there (although I doubt you'll find it).
This is probably exactly what it is. Because They welded and finished the top side of the tower but seemed like they didn't really mend the bottom side. Im pretty sure its cracked or not even there really anymore. Is there a way to tell or to see these sleeves you speak of? This is probably why it rattles so bad now when I brake. Its just getting worse and worse and starting to rattle horribly.

I went to a shop and they said before they can fix my tie rod and replace some other parts before they can do an alignment with it I need to fix this part first before I they can continue.

Well the sleeve is part of the frame/body of the car when it was built at the factory so normally you don't replace it unless it was all rusted out or the car was crashed in that area, etc. and then a new one would have to be made and welded in (I don't think it's a part you order from Mitsubishi - at least I don't see it listed - I may be wrong - body shops probably have a bunch of generic ones they use to weld in when they need to). To see it, remove the shaft (which means you'll have to remove the 2 horizontal bolts that hold the upper control arm (aka upper arm assembly) to those 2 shafts). Once welded in you really can't change it, so you'll probably have to get cylinder shims or a different shaft. Usually aftermarket shafts come with cylinder shims for that purpose.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/front-upper-control-arm-failure-fix.464531/

This thread may be helpful for you. It at least shows the sleeves.
This is a perfect thread for a visual. Extremely helpful to see because I didnt know what to be looking for and i think mine is rusted and it can move so i just need it welded. Thank you!!!!

Well the sleeve is part of the frame/body of the car when it was built at the factory so normally you don't replace it unless it was all rusted out or the car was crashed in that area, etc. and then a new one would have to be made and welded in (I don't think it's a part you order from Mitsubishi - at least I don't see it listed - I may be wrong - body shops probably have a bunch of generic ones they use to weld in when they need to). To see it, remove the shaft (which means you'll have to remove the 2 horizontal bolts that hold the upper control arm (aka upper arm assembly) to those 2 shafts). Once welded in you really can't change it, so you'll probably have to get cylinder shims or a different shaft. Usually aftermarket shafts come with cylinder shims for that purpose.
Thank you for describing this into depth detail. I will be using this thread to show the shop so they exactly whats going on. I really really appreciate all of this help :)

You will have to go to a body shop for this. Beware shops always do whatever is the fastest and cheapest thus your tower got only welded from the top. It's near impossible to get them to do it right (eg. weld both top and bottom) even if you offer to pay them more because it takes extra time and they don't/won't want to do that, for ANY amount of money. They can fix more cars/day (and thus make more $) than the time it takes to fix your one car right no matter what you offer. So find a high quality shop, tell them you want it fixed right welded top and bottom and you'll pay them extra to do it right, and hope for the best. But don't be surprised when they don't. That's why most people on here weld it themselves.

You will have to go to a body shop for this. Beware shops always do whatever is the fastest and cheapest thus your tower got only welded from the top. It's near impossible to get them to do it right (eg. weld both top and bottom) even if you offer to pay them more because it takes extra time and they don't/won't want to do that, for ANY amount of money. They can fix more cars/day (and thus make more $) than the time it takes to fix your one car right no matter what you offer. So find a high quality shop, tell them you want it fixed right welded top and bottom and you'll pay them extra to do it right, and hope for the best. But don't be surprised when they don't. That's why most people on here weld it themselves.
My towers were repair by previous owners who took it somewhere and the shop must of did exactly that because the top is nice and solid but when you go to the bottom side they like coated it but you can see the old strut tower metal so they did exactly what you just explained. I was going to have someone finish the job and fix my core support but whoever does this for me might as well do those as well as fixing my upper control arm where it mounts.

I just called a shop and they told me the same guy i was going to anyways so ill get all my frame issues fixed in one go.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back