The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

what catch can are you running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calan, what are your options for cheaper catch cans? I hear you have a setup for under 70. I think this would benefit the OP as well if his car is a DD just looking for some better venting options.

Honestly, you will be lucky to pick up AN fittings (If you go that route) to plumb the can for this much. :coy: Not to sound harsh, but what would help the OP is a properly vented crankcase to stop reaping havoc on the seals inside the motor. Of course 70 would be nice, but materials are not cheap and it took a lot of R&D to get to this point. Again, I am not attacking you, just offering a view from the other side of the fence. ;)

To the OP, this can, in my opinion, is worth every bit. I was reluctant due to the price at first, but after a few conversations and eventually installation I could not be more happy with the money spent. Hope this helps.

Robert

I am also repping a Calan catch can. 2 -8 to 1 -10.

Though I do have to ask Gofer and DWR-DSM, are you filling up more oil then you would think in the catch can? I could have swore that the "better" way to do the intake lines were like 99gst_racer. You see how his valve cover lines are not in the factory location? I thought the reasoning was because of the baffling.

Please chime in.

for reference this

post #14

Best damn catch can period. I run this. It's the same one AMS runs on their drag Evo. Each Side of the can has one (1) -10AN female port and and -10AN female port on the bottom with a drain plug. Nice sized breather filter at the top and the can is internally baffled. Also has mounting bracket.

Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.

Those are 3/8" NPT bungs, not AN bungs. It is a nice breather tank though. Quality welds, nice polish job, and decent baffling. The question you have to ask yourself though; Is a vented can the best catch can solution for your application?

These are all really nice looking cans, but is there any benefit to using larger than stock hoses? Or will stock size suffice? IMO i like the larger hose look though, like on 99gst_racers ride. :thumb:

You have the cleanest engine bay ever man! do you actually drive your car? LOL

That is his baby, only time he doesn't daily drive it is when he's on crutches

:D
Those are 3/8" NPT bungs, not AN bungs. It is a nice breather tank though. Quality welds, nice polish job, and decent baffling. The question you have to ask yourself though; Is a vented can the best catch can solution for your application?

True. It does depend on the application. My car I chose vented. Without a oil dip stick spring my oil dip stick popped out at 24 psi before I got this catch can. Since then more than a few times I accidentally left the spring off the dip stick and at 38 psi it didn't budge. Not taking anything away from Calan, jm fab or anyone else but for the $70 shipped it is a quality piece and was well worth it. I put no Bs on my car and I cut no corners when it comes to safety.

:D

True. It does depend on the application. My car I chose vented. Without a oil dip stick spring my oil dip stick popped out at 24 psi before I got this catch can. Since then more than a few times I accidentally left the spring off the dip stick and at 38 psi it didn't budge. Not taking anything away from Calan, jm fab or anyone else but for the $70 shipped it is a quality piece and was well worth it. I put no Bs on my car and I cut no corners when it comes to safety.

Using a spring to hold the dip stick in is like putting dirt on a band-aid. It will cover the problem for the time being but later on more serious problems may arise. Take the spring off all together and if your dipstick flies out you need a new dipstick or better crankcase ventilation.

Another way to actually measure the effectiveness of said can is to measure the crankcase pressure via a logged map sensor. You could also use a boost gauge for the test if you have no other choice (no way of logging). Of course you would need to video tape its actions to get any results/info to share. It is great that the can "works very well" but when giving a suggestion, please provide the test results to strengthen your claim.

Robert

Using a spring to hold the dip stick in is like putting dirt on a band-aid. It will cover the problem for the time being but later on more serious problems may arise. Take the spring off all together and if your dipstick flies out you need a new dipstick or better crankcase ventilation.

Another way to actually measure the effectiveness of said can is to measure the crankcase pressure via a logged map sensor. You could also use a boost gauge for the test if you have no other choice (no way of logging). Of course you would need to video tape its actions to get any results/info to share. It is great that the can "works very well" but when giving a suggestion, please provide the test results to strengthen your claim.

Robert
I'm Just giving another option. Yes the spring is a bandaid. As I stated. Now at 38 psi I have no issues. I just use it for extra security. I have nothing to gain or lose if no dsmer chooses to run the catch can I run LOL. Contact AMS they ran the same can. They may be able to give you some numbers :thumb:.

+1 For Calan. I've coated and polished a few of his locally and top notch pieces.

The one I made for the Evo 3. 10an lines. Alum can and k&n filters
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The one in my Spyder took it out of the 89 mirage turbo hatch before I sold it. Rewelded it and made a new bracket for it. Steel 4in round

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Mishimoto sealed can and have it setup just like tkrPerformance but both have both the PCV/breather to a 3/4" hose then to one inlet and then connect the catch can to my intake pipe by using a 3/4" hose.

Spoolin ddub.. Can you post pics or show how you have this can setup? Do you vent without a vacuum source?

I'd like to find a can for around 70 with 2 inlets and 2 vacuum taps so I can just run it with the stock lines. Does a cheaper can like this exist?

Spoolin ddub.. Can you post pics or show how you have this can setup? Do you vent without a vacuum source?

I'd like to find a can for around 70 with 2 inlets and 2 vacuum taps so I can just run it with the stock lines. Does a cheaper can like this exist?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back