The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G W4A33 transmission no reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBeha

Probationary Member
Nov 12, 2021
Parkersburg, West_Virginia
I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX automatic with no reverse.

I did a pressure test, everything looked good except lower reverse brake it had 0 pressure. Is this a valve body problem or internal problems Eclipse problem. No noise is come from transmission or torque converter, fluid has been changed everything looks good.

Looking for some help

Last edited by a moderator:
Will a f4a33 transmission pump work in a w4a33 transmission

Information on f4a33 transmission pump, Will it work in a w4a33 transmission

My auto transmission guy (DTR) said no, it would not. He would know, Darren Thomas Racing on FB I think. If you can find him out there, ask him to be sure.

I have been lied too............
Thanks Sean. I sent a Cobra front wheel drive pump down for him to inspect and was told it didn't work in a W4A33. :hmm:

Thanks Sean. I sent a Cobra front wheel drive pump down for him to inspect and was told it didn't work in a W4A33. :hmm:
Sorry thay happened... I tend to believe Jeff and Kevin. The F and W just designate fwd or awd.. gear ratios are different on final drive only as well.

Good news is....I still have that pump

Here is a question that hasn't been asked to the OP. @RBeha , Is the converter properly indexed? ALOT of folks think they have it seated all of the way in but in fact, it is not completely indexed. Has the transmission been out of the car lately?

If that says that the DSM AT pump is the same as the GTO (Z11A) then I've got two wasting away in the garage. Time to harvest all the NA 3S F4A33 Automatics for spares. There were more ATs than MTs in those.

That is the way I read it too Steve.

Heres more clarification

AWD and FWD are the same, the only pump interchange issue is 1G/JDM vs. 2G

If it's just the judt front part of the pump (pump body and gears) that are bad, they all interchange as long as the correct 1G or 2G stator support is matched to them.

Thanks and regards, John, IPT Transmissions.

I talked to him on the phone yesterday ROFL

Hey Marty,
I hate to log in here to find that you feel I lied to you about the pump, but whatever pump you believe you have/sent to me was definitely not a Fwd turbo pump. I gave you an amazingly perfect w4a33 pump in exchange for a pump you said you had as a trade. Once I finally received it and opened it to inspect and make sure there was no damage, I found it was not a matching pump. I never said the F4a33 would not work, I said that specific pump you sent would not work. I packaged it back up and sent it back to you and as of currently, I am still owed a good pump that I have not said a word about and have continued to offer you support even in circumstances that would not have been any issue my rebuild could have caused.

Also since I’m here, in regards to this thread:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/servo-switch.542755/#post-153875968
I do know that I am a bit difficult to get ahold of as I am only a 1 person shop with my wife & dad to help me. I don’t sort through my emails often as it’s not usually a means that communication for services are received. As far as the shaft breaking, the last time we spoke you mentioned your means of shifting was most likely the cause of this issue (bucking in and out of 4th gear.) I’m not sure how it became an issue that would cause you to be unhappy with me or my work as I spent over an hour on a call going through everything to make sure none of the clutches were burned or there were any other issues, and you did not mention that. I had also agreed to walk you through replacing the shaft when you were ready for that also.

I know that my services are costly as are most performance services, and it’s never fun when you spend money and have an additional set back.

I believe you still have my shop number, I’d be happy to speak with you in regards to any dissatisfaction with my services.

-DTR

Last edited:
Darren, I just need a way to contact you. If you took it that some shifting issue was what caused the problem, it was not. You can see it, as I log everything. I am open to trying to fix it myself but would much rather bring it back to you and have you do the repairs, charge me the appropriate rate and send me back home. Once I open it up, all bets are off as to it working again. As Tim has stated, that shaft is the weakest part of the trans and I feel that it was just a bad part. Nothing you did or I did, it is just a part failure. Me getting in touch with you after this is what is frustrating. PM me your number or text me at 620-330-3987 (thats MY number) and we can sort this out. I build motors but don't claim to be a trans man and I know your units are good, this one just had an issue. It is the transmission that you were building for yourself is what you told me, so I am sure it was put together with the best stuff but you would have had the same thing happen, I am sure. Lets work together and have a good relationship. Stuff happens, I blame no one. It just happens sometimes. I wish you a better year this year than last as a new year begins.
On that extra pump, your memory is foggy. You wanted an extra pump and found out I had one. You paid nothing for it. I shipped it down for you to inspect and possibly sell to you and you sent it back. You DID NOT give me a perfectly good pump, all I bought was a transmission. The pump I had I bought out of California as a W4A33 unit and I was sure that when we spoke you (or maybe I talked with your wife), said it wasn't a W4A33 pump but there was a mention of it possibly being a FWD. Are the pumps the same? The one I have, I have no idea what it came out of other than the sellers description to me. So it is probably not even a pump for our cars, is what you meant I take it? I will make a note and put it in the box with it. I do still have the receipt for the trans and for the other work that you did for me (welding up a dif and a VC).
Glad you got ahold of me, please send me a contact #. I would be glad to come down anytime and pay you for your services. That transmission hits harder than any other I have had, so I want you to know, I LIKE IT....ALOT, it just takes the fun out of driving it with no OD.
Marty

My number hasn’t changed but I’ll give you a call as soon as I’m free as there does seem to be some confusion.

-DTR

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back