The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G W4A33 No Gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo0sTeD 4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
I am converting my car from FWD to AWD but the problem I am having is when I put the car in reverse for some reason the tires spin forward. I am using the kiggly mod also, I have checked to make sure the solenoids are good, and I also checked to make sure my transmission pump works. I have no reverse the only thing the transmission does is when the car is in reverse it looks like its on 2nd and when I put it in neutral it looks like it goes into low gear. Also when I hit the gas the wheels do not spin any faster they stay rotating at the same speed even though the rpms are going up. I don't know if maybe the transmission is in limp mode or maybe something else is wrong that can be an easy fix. I just wanted to know if there is anything else I can try before I take out the transmission.

Last edited:
Did you make sure the shifter was pushed all the way forward as well as the gear selector on the neutral safety switch on the trans was pushed all the way forward when you connected the shift cable?

Did you make sure the shifter was pushed all the way forward as well as the gear selector on the neutral safety switch on the trans was pushed all the way forward when you connected the shift cable?

Yes I made sure, I also removed the shift cable and tested by hand and nothing happened. Do you think it could be something with the transmission internally?

I spoke to a transmission shop and I was told that most likely the clutches inside the transmission are stuck so I might need a rebuild. I guess that's what I get for buying a used part when I was told it came out of a good working car and there was nothing wrong with it. Sad part is it's from one of our vendors. You live and you learn, this will not happen to me again.

I spoke to a transmission shop and I was told that most likely the clutches inside the transmission are stuck so I might need a rebuild. I guess that's what I get for buying a used part when I was told it came out of a good working car.

Did installing the transmission go smooth?
Do you have a logger or anything to check transmission codes?

Wonder if the valve bodys screwed its an easy start and if you have your old f4a-33 transmission swap the valve body into the w4a-33

You can check codes with an analog volt meter just vfaq: auto transmission trouble codes ,
Or get a factory service manual

Did you Double check the alignment of your shifter?
Are you useing the tcu?
Ive had a band break in my auto and my car was stuck in 3rd gear(limp mode) but i coud still limp around town

Fluid level good ?
Is the Transmissions seated to the block properly?

The shop propably just wants your money so do some easy stuff on it before you fork out cash
Im sure what ever vendor sold it to you can assist you

Last edited:
Did installing the transmission go smooth? Yes
Do you have a logger or anything to check transmission codes? Yes

Wonder if the valve bodys screwed its an easy start and if you have your old f4a-33 transmission swap the valve body into the w4a-33

You can check codes with an analog volt meter just vfaq: auto transmission trouble codes ,
Or get a factory service manual

Did you Double check the alignment of your shifter? Yes
Are you useing the tcu? No
Ive had a band break in my auto and my car was stuck in 3rd gear(limp mode) but i coud still limp around town

Fluid level good ? Brand new
Is the Transmissions seated to the block properly? Yes

I put in a brand new torque converter and installed a TransLab shift kit so I'm guessing it's the transmission that's messed up. I was told it was a good transmission now I have to come up with the money to rebuild it.

Hmm any way you can use the tcu?
Did you make sure the torque converter was in the pump properly?
Takes alot of turning

Do you free rev no matter what gear your in ?

Check your over drive clutches its easy to get to, might give you an idea of what the other clutches look like .

Did you make sure to use the right bolts in the right spots? You can crack. Valve bodys easly

Hmm any way you can use the tcu? No
Did you make sure the torque converter was in the pump properly? Yes
Takes alot of turning

Do you free rev no matter what gear your in ? Yes
When I put it in reverse the wheels spin forward and when I hit the gas it just revs up but the wheels don't spin any faster.

Sounds more like a hydrolic issue
Can you swap valve bodys?

If your 100% pisitive your shifter is adjusted properly than i would asume its your valve body unless alot of stuff is destroyed inside

Last edited:
Sounds more like a hydrolic issue
Can you swap valve bodys?

If your 100% pisitive your shifter is adjusted properly than i would asume its your valve body unless alot of stuff is destroyed inside

I was told most likely the transmission needs a rebuild so I will be sending it out to get a rebuild and keep you guys updated.

Well guys just to keep you updated on my findings I found this while starting to rebuild the transmission. I am assuming this is why none of my gears are working as they should be. The forward drum is completely cracked all the way around.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 20170219_144824.jpg
    20170219_144824.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170219_141113.jpg
    20170219_141113.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back