The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

VR speed intercooler question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraig milton

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2010
Atlantic city, New_Jersey
Hi, I know you guys are probably getting bombed with questions about this intercooler! I have searched the forum pretty well and havn't seen anything that relates to my problem. My upper intercooler pipe that hooks to my throttle body is at a weird angle and it almost hits my motor mount. I attached a few pictures, do i have to cut the motor mount? I wanted to get some input before I bugged the manufacture, I am super excited I bought this for myself for christmas along with a speed density kit and wideband, Im building my downpipe and finally getting my car togther. Cheers :thumb:

Attachments

• intercooler 001.jpg
    intercooler 001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 55
  • intercooler 002.jpg
    intercooler 002.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 58
Im sure the kit was built for people running the stock intake manifold. Best thing you can do is cut a few inches off the elbow.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I didnt even think of that, do you think it would be better to run the stock intake manifold, the guy gave me both when i bought the car.

I agree. Keep your smim.
A stock 2g throttle body elbow would work in this situation i would imagine.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I guess thats what I'll have to do, I bought this intercooler because my old one was a cheap ebay one rigged on my car and i thought this would look a little nicer and perform a bit better. I might just run the stock manifold instead of this ebay one people tell me it isn't even any better.

Im running the sam fmic setup on mine with a jmf drag manifold and have no issues maybe cause i have a 1g though DONT sell the SMIM keep it and get a diff. ic pipe or call them they will work with u im sure

Keep the smim,you can trim the mount if you want also and that would save you time and money, but before you cut anything i'd test fit the rest of the pipping to see if it will line up.:thumb:

Use the stock 2g throttlebody elbow and run a coupler from there to the intercooler pipe. At least thats what I did. I don't think it hurt power at all as I ran the time in my avatar with my upper pipe that way.

If possible, see if a 1g NT TB will bolt up and use a coupler to attach a straight pipe from the TB to FMIC outlet.

Basically cut the elbow and weld it to the mid pipe. The coupler Should widen the space between the mount and pipe and you can also weld it at a new angle to accomadate the longer SMIM.

The easiest thing to do would be to cut the pipe about 2" and using a 45 deg. coupler. Test fit the coupler with the other pipe on to make sure that it fits before you cut the pipe in the pics above.

I would probably take that to your local muffler shop and have them put it on
their pipe bend machine and tweak it an inch or two.

Regards
Greg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back