The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbo Question - 14b/16g hybrid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM B

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hey tuners,

I have an MHI 14b that I was going to rebuild and install on my spyder gst. The car is all stock except for an ebay 16g turbo the previous owner installed. Now, the turbine housing on my 14b is cracked of coarse, so I was going to use the turbine housing off the ebay turbo on the 14b while I rebuild it.

My question is, can I or should I use anything else from the ebay 16g while I am rebuilding the 14b turbo? My goal is to keep the car stock except for the turbo and I am not really looking to machining anything also.

Thanks

Brad

So the ebay 16g is of questionable quality, but you want to use part of it because your OEM unit is cracked? So many folks upgrade from the stock turbo there must be scads of those sitting on shelves and whatnot in perfectly good "core" shape. I totally get the "keeping it stock" mentality, so why start off with an aftermarket part, and the housing no less? The small amount of savings will not be worth the potential incompatibility or questionable durability of the ebay part. Now if it was an OEM mits part sold on ebay, that's different. But I assume you would have said so.

The factory 14b had rampant cracking issues. If you do find a used one, it will likely be cracked as well. I've heard that the ebay units can be okay as long as you're only using the housings, but I know that the rebuild kits usually don't swap over so you couldn't use any of the internals on a genuine MHI turbo. The 16g that I was given had no other interchangeable parts with the EVO III that I installed. The wastegate actuator and wheels were completely different and incompatible.

I think what I will do at this point is rebuild the MHI 14b. I will use the turbine housing from the ebay turbo though, assuming it is not cracked, as I have not looked at it yet, but it is brand new and there is no shaft play in the turbo. I do plan on porting the both the exhaust mani, O2 housing and the turbine housing. If you have any other recommendations, please let me know!

Thanks

Brad

Out of curiosity, where is your 14b housing cracked? Sounds like this is common enough that I should keep an eye open for it on my car (though I've not yet noticed anything). Where are the common weak points?
Reportedly I've heard that 1g exhaust manifolds have a habit of cracking, while 2g does not suffer as much. I guess they learned about the issues and fixed them? I have seen some porting write-up on VFAQ.

Out of curiosity, where is your 14b housing cracked? Sounds like this is common enough that I should keep an eye open for it on my car (though I've not yet noticed anything). Where are the common weak points?
Reportedly I've heard that 1g exhaust manifolds have a habit of cracking, while 2g does not suffer as much. I guess they learned about the issues and fixed them? I have seen some porting write-up on VFAQ.
Seconded....

You're not making a hybrid of anything, if the turbo has a 14B compressor then it's a 14B. You're just going to be using a 7cm2 turbine housing on a 14B which people have been doing for decades to replace cracked D2 6cm2 castings...costs a little spool compared to a perfect 6cm2 housing but may actually improve response depending how bad the old housing was cracked.

How should I be examining my housing for cracks? Does it include dismounting the turbo from manifold and O2 housing? I believe I have the factory original parts on my 90 GSX.

Here is a pic of the housing crack. You will notoce a few cracks down the shoot!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back