The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Trouble with pretty new oxygen sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex99gst

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2003
Nashville, Tennessee
I replaced the oxygen sensor about 3k miles ago and I was able to see it cycle and it would change when I logged it. After a while, I noticed that it would only read 0.04 or 0.06 on the logger, but whenever I logged it, you could see the sensor fluctuate just fine. Now I am at the point where it only reads 0.06 on the logger and still wont register on logs. I still get right around 300 miles per tank though, just like when I replaced it.

Some things that changed in between were an aftermarket exhaust (the o2 bung is positioned terribly to where it barely fits and the wires rub against the power steering), I just recently reconnected the grounding strap to the exhaust, and the sensor has been taken out twice. I think the extremely tight fit could have pulled on one of the wires and possibly disconnected it internally:( . Do you guys know if it is possible to clean off a fairly recent o2 sensor? I was thinking maybe let is sit overnight in some seafoam or something since it is o2 safe. I just dont want to dish out the money for that because I'm saving up for injectors right now and I want to try to keep it because I will probably go to a wideband in the future. I just need to know if it is possible to clean it and if anyone has experienced anything like this. Thanks

If you disconnect the fuel pressure regulator manifold reference line, it will increase the fuel pressure. Theoretically, that should increase the o2 reading some. I usually put my finger on the disconnected hose to keep from creating a vacum leak, which would to some extent negate the impact of increasing the fuel pressure.

Try that and see what happens.

There really isn't a clever way I know of to clean an o2. On cars that have had a rich condition for a long time, you can sometimes create a BIG vacum leak and clean/burn the depositis off. I usually disconnect the pcv valve hose, and give the motor ~2000 rpm with the throttle for 30 seconds or so....

Just got a new oxygen sensor and hooked it up. Even with the car fully warmed up it only reads either .06 or .08 volts on the logger and logs are useless. Everything else seems to be in order except that I have an electrical problem with the oxygen sensor it seems. If anyone can help me at all it will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I did in fact order from oxygensensors.com and it was very cheap and was at my door 2 days after I placed my order (they said it would be more like 4-5).

I'd say check your fuel pressure.

Again, disconnecting your manifold pressue reference to the fuel pressure regulator is an interesting test for this as well.

Hook up your fuel pressure gauge, note the pressure, and then disconnect the reference, and it should increase noticebally.

Does the 02 voltage change when you artificially alter the fuel pressure?

I'll try that next time. I checked it last night and it was 37-38, but that was with the vacuum hose connected and if I remember correctly it is supposed to be 37.5 without it connected. I also have a boost leak problem out of nowhere so maybe the two are linked, but still, the volts don't cycle or anything, just hold steady at .06. I'm stumped, but I'll try that next time I can.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back