The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Tri Metal or Aluminum Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lccynmbr13

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2006
Renton, Washington
I'm trying to decide whether I want to run Tri Metal or Aluminum bearings in my Stroker. Looking to make deep into the 600s. If anyone knows what the benefit/ downfall to each is I'd like to hear your thoughts. Please don't post up Clevites suck or Definitely go with ACL I'm not interested in that I would like to know what actually is the difference between the two metallurgies as well as what is better for the horsepower level I'm going to be achieving. Previously I ran Clevites though I can't verify if they were the tri metals or the aluminum series ones I didn't build that motor, all I know is they flaked in my oil pan. I blamed it on detonation but if this is a common problem with a certain type of bearing at high horsepower levels that'd be nice to know. Thanks in advance for your input guys.

As far as I know tri-metal bearings have the ability to lubricate more efficiently and withstand higher abuse than strictly aluminum bearings....

I did a built 6 bolt engine and used ACL race bearings, as far as I know they are one of the few bearing still utilizing true tri-metal design. I can say I am completely satisfied with their performance and reliabilty. I have yet to have a problem and been running them with high boost for 20,000 + miles

i think tri-metal lasts longer aluminum you would have to freshen it alot more replace bearing every so often i could be wrong though.

To my knowledge tri-metals do not expand as much and are usually harder. This means two things: If any journal contact was made it would cause more damage than say a softer aluminum bearing. But there is more oil clearance because the bearings do not expand as much inside the caps.

Aluminum bearings are softer than tri-metals and if any bearing contact is made usually there is less scoring on the crank.

Jon from DSM Graveyard made a great contribution about this on one of his vendor sales but I cannot find it or recall all of the information.

Tri Metal bearings are rated for higher loading in pounds per square inch than the OE aluminum bearings. Strokers, especially high HP strokers, load the main bearings much higher than the stock engine.

From this reasoning I went with ACL race bearings with the split thrust bearings on my 2.3L stroker.

Thanks for the input Tuna. I'd assume that's why my Clevites flaked last time (quite literally). I'll be going with ACL tri metals this time around. I'll be sure to post up my exprience with both bearings after a couple thousand miles of pounding on the new ones.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back