The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Transmission guys! I have questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19gsx91

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Walworth, New_York
Long story short I used to have a 92 talon that had a shep stage 2 trans/transfer case in it (5 years ago) I took the turbo and some other parts off of it that made it non driveable and sold it.. since at the time I had a FWD laser and couldn't afford to keep the parts car.

That same talon ended back up in a friends hands and I have since purchased the transmission/transfer case from him now that I have an AWD

I have some concerns since I never physically saw the trans come out of the car and I do not know enough about transmissions to readily identify much of anything.. And mind you the car has sat, undriveable for about 5 years.

IS there any ready way for me to tell that this is a legit rebuilt transmission, and the guy didn't just pull a different trans/trans case off the shelf? Ask for specific pictures and I may be able to deliver.

This is what I have so far.

I'm also curios to know if it had an EvoIII 5th gear installed and if there is any way for me to tell
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Please be patient with this one guys, I am mechanically inclined but transmissions are a grey area I generally try not to dive too deep into so I may end up asking some dumb questions.

I see grey RTV on the case halves you have split apart, while I can't tell you 100% if it's been rebuilt, I can tell you that the case has been opened (aka not a factory sealed case). As far as the EVO 5th gear, count the teeth?

How many teeth? this may quickly become a pointless thread as I went to drain the remaining fluid out of the transfer case and there was water in it.. pulled the fill plug and it was gummed up about 1/2 inch with metal shavings.

You can call up shep's shop and run the numbers by him (I have done it on a tranny I was going to buy) I can't remember if he puts his own stamp/engraving numbers... Somebody else can shime in on that...

You can call up shep's shop and run the numbers by him (I have done it on a tranny I was going to buy) I can't remember if he puts his own stamp/engraving numbers... Somebody else can shime in on that...

I thought about that but it's a holiday weekend and I'm a bit impatient, I may try him Tuesday/wed if I even still have the thing by then. I do not see any discernible stamping/engraving on it.

I figured it was worth asking the community in the meantime, there are a lot of guys on here way more experienced in this department then I am.

@twicks69

Water dripping out of the transfer case = complete junk?

Long story short the guy ended up stealing the car out of my driveway while I was at work.. cops said it's a civil issue so I'm shafted sideways with nothing but the "built" transmission and transfer case unless I drag this through court.

Edit - noticed I never fully explained the car being stolen thing. I didn't buy the transmission - I traded outright for a car I had here. I told him my concerns with the transmission and he said we'd get it sorted out.. then the cars gone from my property and he already had the paperwork since he got that when he dropped the trans off.

Well that's about as straightforward as it gets. I've got a week of vacation time so after Syracuse nationals.. that is what I shall do. Although I'll have no idea what I'm looking at, I'll post back here when I do. Thank you.

With the transfer case, just take off the 5 bolts that hold on the side cover, it is an o-ring seal on the side cover so simply use a dead blow hammer and hit the input sleeve side of the transfer case to pop the cover open and use two smaller prybars to evenly and gently remove the side cover. Then, you will be able to pull out the drive gear and take a look inside.

With the transmission, regarding 5th gear, please take a close up side profile of the 5th intermediate gear and the 5th gear on the input shaft under the 5th/reverse hub and slider. If there are three indents on both gears on the sides of the teeth, it is a DSM AWD ratio. I cannot make it out from the vertical view you took a picture of. I need to see the sides of those gears.

I will try to get those for you Tim, I apologize I have not responded I did not notice you had replied. A local transmission builder has both in his possession now, He said it looked like someone had been in there but it was a lot of years ago and it's been stored very poorly since.

Thank you for your time guys, I appreciate it, I plan on getting out to his shop this week to get the pictures you requested

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back