The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A too much fuel, done my research

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What problems are you having with the safc?

That is exactly why i want to know what your doing trying to give 420a guys advice....SAFC's do not work with 420a's because our MAP senser don't read boost, And since SAFC's work by tapping into the wiring from the MAP to the ecu to modify the signal, It makes perfect sense. Now Some 420a's run a SAFC with a SFMU and Large injectors to lean things out under vacuum, But as soon as you go under boost the SAFC does nothing at all. SAFC only work on factory turbo/supercharged vehicles :beatentodeath: :beatentodeath: :beatentodeath: :beatentodeath:

Dont you guys have megasquirt? Throw that FMU to a honda guy and let him blow up his motor. I'd invest in megasquirt. Or a car with a larger aftermarket.

Yes we have MegaSquirt.
SAFC's won't work on boosted 420a's employing a ML/FCD.
FMU's have been used for years at a time by hundreds of 2gnt'ers with no problems.

Random and unrelated questions/suggestions aren't helpful and are pushing this thread off topic. Please people, while general knowledge is always welcomed, if you don't understand the intricacies of boosted 420a's, don't offer specific advise.

I appologize. I have a basic understanding of boosting na cars however. One of the things I've learned in my 3G days is that piggybacks with a wideband are better than FMUs.

To me, an FMU is tuning in the dark. You have very little direct control over how much fuel is being injected and when after you buy the product in compairison to a piggyback.

I should have added that I was addressing this question and that my question was rhetorical:

Ok mister 420a expert, What do you recommend? Unlike the 4g63 we dont have many choices, FMU being the most common. Now i agree FMU's aren't that great but it is what we have to work with.

I plan on buying the sfmu and running 8-10 psi for a long while tell i get some other stuff taken care of. i think thats my best bet here. thanks for all the info. (not saying bad about ilikespeeding) but us new tuners take it to heart and end up doing thing to harm the motor like the safc. Made my car run like crap and never will install anoter safc.

first off your fmu is a piece of shit, throw it away and buy either a vortech fmu nor the sfmu. I had an obx fmu that came with my kit and all it did was dump fuel and make my car run like shit. Bought a vortech and runs great for the most part. Im running 24lb injectors 10-1 disc and 15psi and my a/f gauge is pegged rich,hense i installed an safc to compansate for the extra fuel but have not tuned yet. And before another person says sell me your car before you blow it up i dont want to here it, im just lucky i guess and i dont boost everywhere i go. Anyway back on topic, i to plan on going with the sfmu when i get the money and im actually buying it from a member on here. The sfmun is a much better choice but if money is tight buy a vortech fmu and a set of injectors slightly larger like 24lb or so cause its cheaper up front. Sorry for rambling but hope some of this helps

first off your fmu is a piece of shit, throw it away and buy either a vortech fmu nor the sfmu. I had an obx fmu that came with my kit and all it did was dump fuel and make my car run like shit. Bought a vortech and runs great for the most part. Im running 24lb injectors 10-1 disc and 15psi and my a/f gauge is pegged rich,hense i installed an safc to compansate for the extra fuel but have not tuned yet. And before another person says sell me your car before you blow it up i dont want to here it, im just lucky i guess and i dont boost everywhere i go. Anyway back on topic, i to plan on going with the sfmu when i get the money and im actually buying it from a member on here. The sfmun is a much better choice but if money is tight buy a vortech fmu and a set of injectors slightly larger like 24lb or so cause its cheaper up front. Sorry for rambling but hope some of this helps

A safc is not going to help you much, Based on your setup and what you said, And the fact that i remember from your last thread that you dont know as much as you think you do, And your car is on the verge of blowing up (and dont say its not, Because you dont know because you dont have a wideban), I dont recommend anybody listen to you for advice, Sorry :toobad:

I have long comtemplated the SFMU. My biggest thing is finding the proper injector size to handle 16psi but allowing the car to idle without being flooded pig rich at idle. I understand you can adjust static FP, but I'm hesitant as to the extent of it on the unit. In other words, I don't know if the SFMU would be able to pull enough fuel for even idle.

I've long done the calculations of the injector size needed based on the amount of air my motor flows, but every time I come up with a different number. I'm horrible at math. :mad:

This stuff is really starting to scare me though. I'm about to limit my boost to 5psi. Well, that's all it sees most the time anyways but..

A safc is not going to help you much, Based on your setup and what you said, And the fact that i remember from your last thread that you dont know as much as you think you do, And your car is on the verge of blowing up (and dont say its not, Because you dont know because you dont have a wideban), I dont recommend anybody listen to you for advice, Sorry :toobad:

Come on now. You can't sit here and discredit someone's knowledge on cars because they don't own a wideband. Not everyone can afford to dish out the money for one after such a project. I would like to see you contribute some sound and factual advice behind that, not based on part selection or the member's car set-up.

Oh im not really saying that just because he don't have a wideband, Its just hes running bigger injectors (not controlling them), Running 15psi on a FMU, And has know way of knowing if his A/F is rite(which we all know aren't), And worst of all he is to hard headed to listen to anybody else, And thinks he is doing everything rite, You would have to see a thread he posted a while ago to understand. I just get mad when i see somebody that cant figure their own car out, try to tell somebody else what to do with there car, I don't know maybe i was a little harsh but, I still don't think he should be giving other people advice until he learns more about his own car.

I'm buying the sfmu next week :happy: Just trying to make sure that the car doesn't run overly rich. I think where it is at.. its not that bad.. Could be worse like go to 18 and stay there. As for throwing stuff away... I didn't plan on buying a "OBX" Fmu. Like i said i had a friend order it. But shi# happends. So I'm getting rid of it until the sfmu comes. I'm not even going to attempt installing a safc as of right now.

(pluss dump fuel would be a good thing for me right now and its not dumping fuel and i made sure its installed correctly)
So please no more"get a safc" Im not putting it back on.

Thanks
Lance

Hey Blitz, out of curiosity since our setups are so similar, what size injectors were you thinking of getting to pair with the sfmu?

Hey Blitz, out of curiosity since our setups are so similar, what size injectors were you thinking of getting to pair with the sfmu?

Probably 290's or possibly 330's. My math always comes out to around there. I'd like to see 10psi for the next year until I move to Tampa, FL and buy a daily driver. Then all hell is breaking loose.

But for 10psi I'm aiming for 330's or so..

I would throw 440's in there and call it a day. You'll be able to tune them easily enough with the S-FMU and you'll have a little room to up the boost to maybe 12 or 13psi. You guys both have built blocks right? If you're going to buy new injectors you might as well make a sizable upgrade. Hell, you can probably buy a set of Ford green tops for a V8 and split them amongst yourselves.

VelocitàPaola;151474139 said:
Hell, you can probably buy a set of Ford green tops for a V8 and split them amongst yourselves.
Or get a set of stocker 4g63 450's (which you may have kicking around or your buddy may) and call that a day (quite possibly for free :D)

MB

Oh im not really saying that just because he dont have a wideban, Its just hes running bigger injectors (not controlling them), Running 15psi on a FMU, And has know way of knowing if his A/F is rite(which we all know aren't), And worst of all he is to hard headed to listen to anybody else, And thinks he is doing everything rite, You would have to see a thread he posted a while ago to understand. I just get mad when i see somebody that cant figure their own car out, try to tell somebody else what to do with there car, I dont know maybe i was a little harsh but, I still dont think he should be giving other people advice intill he learns more about his own car.

Just for your information since you seem to know everything, if you remember in my other post i said that i would not recomend to anybody to do what i am doing. I do know what im talking about and im not saying i know everything or that i am beter than the next guy. All i did was sugest to him what he could do to do it right. My a/f gauge is not a wideband but it is always pegged rich and my plugs verify this since they are as black as night so dont tell me my motor is about to blow. I know what needs done to be the right way but cant aford the upgrades right now so as stated plenty of times now I DONT BOOST EVERYWHERE I GO. Now i do apreciate any and all things that people tell me and i really am not that hard headed as you said but come on man the gauge and plugs dont lie, they didnt have widebands and shit it the day, they had narrow bands egts and hearing. And i also never said anyone had to do what i say there just suggestions that do in fact work so please ease up a bit since you havent seen or heard my car,It runs fantastic and have never had a prob in the 3 months or so since its been boosted.

Oh yeah buy the way not to be a smart ass or anything but to make something clear just because im not doing the right thing right now doesnt mean that i dont know what is right or wrong. I have done my research and i know what im doing shouldnt work but does is beyond me. This is why i have stated not to do what im doing in regards to the amount of boost and set up. I would never intentionally tell someone or suggest something that could damage somones car. And on that note if and when it does blow I will be the first to admit i should have listened but untill then dont bash me because i have the proof to back up my running situation. And you cant say that i have ever said anything that was incorrect when it comes to my suggestions. I apologize for the lengthy post but it just pisses me off that someone is bashing me and doesnt actually know how my car is running,and thank you Blitz for the little suport you gave

RSTeclipse97: I didnt mean to bust your balls, I just think you have a lot of learning to do thats all. Just a little tough love from one 420a guy to another :D, To OP good luck with the SFMU, I wanna see some 450's in there soon ;) Thats my plan SFMU+1g Blue top 450's(already have)=:rocks:

Thank you for saying that i do feel the 420a love and i agree that i have a lot to learn,but anyway. I hope to get my sfmu for my bday in june,so can someone tell me what size injector they would recomend for 15-20 or so psi. I will also have the safc to help control along with the sfmu thanks

Thank you for saying that i do feel the 420a love and i agree that i have a lot to learn,but anyway. I hope to get my sfmu for my bday in june,so can someone tell me what size injector they would recomend for 15-20 or so psi. I will also have the safc to help control along with the sfmu thanks

At that stage I think you'll need to be concerned with ignition control as well as fuel. I wouldn't go much past 16psi with very careful tuning with the S-FMU.

Probably 290's or possibly 330's... But for 10psi I'm aiming for 330's or so..

Yeah I got some 315s on the way... but I've been thinking maybe I should play it safe and leave some room for increasing the boost a little by reselling them and getting some stock DSM 450s.

Paul/Mark/Car_Guy or whoever else - is there any difference between the blue top versus the black top 450cc DSM injectors other than they are from a 1g/2g? Isn't there a green top too or am I mistaken? Will any of them swap right in place of ours?

I'm not sure about the DSM injectors, though I know they're low impedance; so you'll need a resistor pack. The Ford green tops, on the other hand, should drop right in plus they're high impedance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back