The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

TIRE CHOICES

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_91tsi

Probationary Member
Feb 6, 2015
Omaha, Nebraska
Looking at getting 215/55r16 tires. Has anyone had any experience with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06? They seem to be a good tire but I haven't been able to find any DSM guys that have used these personally.

By wanting a good tire, what measures of performance are you looking at?
  • Is this going to be your ONLY set of tires?
  • Do you drive the care year round?
  • Are you looking mostly at dry, wet, or general winter traction?
  • Are you concerned with tread wear?
  • What is your budget?
  • Are you looking more for performance or comfort?
Tire selection should be made with some specific performance in mind. There are many different types of tires that are suited for specific conditions and purposes. Based on this, one tire will not perform fantastically in all of these conditions. I myself would recommend at least a dedicated set of tires for temps below 50 degrees (snow/winter tires), as well as a set for conditions above 50 degrees if you drive the car year round. Winter tire compounds are designed to remain flexible in colder conditions thus providing better traction even on dry pavement than other types of tires. Because of this, they wear much more quickly in temps above 50 degrees. To me, an all season tire will perform somewhat in all conditions, but not fantastic in all. Width is also another factor to consider. Generally, many want the widest tire they can fit on their rim in the DSM community. This would be true in summer conditions when you want the best traction on dry, warm surfaces. Winter/snow tires should be on the narrower size that will fit your rim, as this enhances traction in most snow/ice conditions. When considering an all-season, you would want to be toward the middle of the width range your rim will support.
Check out the chart below:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

On a 6 inch wide rim, a summer tire could safely accept a 205mm wide tire. A winter tire should be 175mm, and an all-season should be 185-195mm.

Yes all the points you made have been a factor. Yes my only set as of now. Yes ill be driving year around. From reviews on these tires it has good ratings on DRY, WET AND WINTER/ICE conditions. Tire wear according to the website is good and comes with 6 year/50,000 mile warranty. For performance or comfort I'm looking for tires with both. Budget is not an issue or a concern. I'm pretty set on these tires just more curious if anyone has had any experience with this specific tire. Thanks for your post ill be going with a 205 instead of 215. Here is a copy of the link of the tires I'm looking at https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=055WR6DWS06&tab=Sizes

I had continental contipros on my 09 Altima and hated them every second they were on there. They were excessively loud, soft side walls and had a few broken belts in them after a year or so.

I just got a full set of Yokohama avid touring-s put on it and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have a 5 year 60 or 65,000 mile warranty.

The reason I'm using my daily as my basis is that it has an aspect ratio similar to what you are looking at where may DSM has 225 45 r17 summer tires.

If budget is not a factor, I would spring for a set of winter tires and track down some used rims to mount them on. When spring arrives, you can usually find some good deals on summer tires. Most of the reviews you read would be a bit slanted as many have only driven on all-season tires, and nothing else. Those that do change tires seasonally, would tend not to even buy all-season tires. Considering longevity, two sets of tires would a few seasons under normal driving conditions as neither is used year-round. I understand this is not the specific feedback you were looking for, but wanted you to be aware of superior alternatives. I can give you plenty of feedback on specific tire types if you choose to go that route. For competition purposes, I usually have about six different sets of tires, each suited for specific conditions throughout the year.

I use this site to find alternative rim choices when purchasing used rims:
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-...rn-Cross-Reference-Database.asp#axzz3yBpoe9jo

If you want more specific reviews on that particular tire, I may suggest Subaru forums. Get a perspective from another AWD platform that has a much wider audience. Google "Subaru + DWS", you should find better reviews than what you will find on tire sites. I take many of them with a grain of salt. Someone replacing their old, worn-out all-seasons to a new set, is likely going to have a great experience no matter the new tire they put on.

Last edited:
My bmw has continental contiprocontact ssr run flats which are oem All season 225 45 17. They sufficed for iowa winters. So far got only about 30k mi out of them. Probably because didn't rotate tires and too much wheel spin. They also flake when get worn, like small chunks breaking off. But cruising near 100 and higher speed sprints felt confident.

As Nate said, I have Bridgestone Blizzaks on alternate wheels for the winter. I tend to get 3-4 winters out of a set (I sometimes run them too far into the spring because I can't get to my others soon enough) For the rest of the year, I run summer tires on EVO IX wheels and get 2-3 summers out of them as they are a much softer compound. I works our really nice, because the car is a monster in the snow with the Blizzaks! The snows are 225/45-17 and the summers are Dunlop Sport Maxx TT in 245/40-17.

They also flake when get worn, like small chunks breaking off. But cruising near 100 and higher speed sprints felt confident.

I would not feel confident at 35 mph with tires like this, let alone 100 mph!

Age also plays a HUGE factor on how well a tire performs. I noticed changes in grip on my Dunlop ZII's even after only a year old.

I would not feel confident at 35 mph with tires like this, let alone 100 mph!

Age also plays a HUGE factor on how well a tire performs. I noticed changes in grip on my Dunlop ZII's even after only a year old.

I will probably order the same set again. I never thought twice about the tires and made several long distance trips.

I agree age probably has some factor. Once i installed new tires that sat 5yrs on shelf. The shop thought i was crazy.

Attachments

• 20160124_115016~2-1600x892.jpg
    20160124_115016~2-1600x892.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 158
If you troll through craigslist there's always people selling winter wheels, often with good tires. If I had more storage space I definitely would have gone this route. As for all seasons, I'm a big fan of mastercraft's durability and traction.

I agree with having 2 sets of tires, it allows you to have best traction per season then just running one set. I just got some cheap knock off rims for winter and keep my nice rims for summer.
Plus if you drive anything like me and speed up for corners and make the tires scream for traction, you'll wear out a good set of tire's in a little over a year :p The all-season on my DD mk6 Golf were thrashed after 12k miles....

If you choose to buy tires from Craigslist, I highly suggest you carefully check for even tread, cracks on the sidewalls, and the date codes. If you want an economical setup on stock GSX brakes, 15in Dodge Caliber steel rims can be had between $40-60 per set. The bolt pattern and even hub bore are the same. Winter tires for a 15in rim are very reasonably priced.

Conti makes an excellent tire. If you don't want to spring for some expensive Michelins they are the way to go. I currently run Continental summer tires on my DSM all year round, even though in the 100+ degree heat I don't drive it much. My brother in law also runs those all seasons on his Audi and they are super smooth, very quiet and handle rain quite well. Can't go wrong IMO.

I had these tires on my 04 350z and i must say they were awesome tires i wouldn't hesitate to get them. I could even drive through 2-4 inches of snow with them. 350z's have horrible traction in the snow. Its a very nice tire if your just want all season performance.

Last edited:
Yokohama avid touring -s, Avid Ascend, YK580, and our new Torante are all great for these conditions. I run the Ascend and yk580 on my tsi (awd) pushing 435hp daily driven through snow and everything. I buried my car with snow half way up the doors last year on purpose and had no problem getting out. Driving on ice was the same way. I haven't lost grip in them yet. However I do plan on ordering a set of Neova AD08Rs for spring/ summer for it :D

Also run the avid touring -s on my girlfriends smart car.. And I haven't got stuck in the snow yet! :)

I had these tires on my 04 350z and i must say they were awesome tires i wouldn't hesitate to get them. I could even drive through 2-4 inches of snow with them. 350z's have horrible traction in the snow. Its a very nice tire if your just want all season performance.
This is awesome to hear! Thanks for your reply!

based on the chart above, a hoosier qtp 26x9.5r16 will not fit my 16x6 wheels. so what is the correct drag radial? i keep hitting dead ends trying to find the right drag radial. yet on summit racing website it lists this size for 6in minimum recomended wheel width. now im lost LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back