The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Timing / biss adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROOKIE1

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2003
Walton, Kentucky
Ok , so profile is up to date . I have everything reassembled . All timing marks ( cams and crank ) line up . Car starts idles wildly dies . If I give it gas it will run , although at high rpms and rough . How do I check these things with a car that will not stay running . Is a 90 Talon . New on car are arps, e316g , Stage 2 sbr head , oil pump , water pump , no bs , tensioner , tensioner pulleys , evo mani , new plugs range 6 or 7 , 20 over bore w/ wiseco 8.5-1 in block .

When I replace maf should I , 1) go 2g or 2) go gm w/trans . profile is up to date . This is it as far as upgrades go ( current profile) . I think . Maybe a front mount a little later . But that would be it .

Going with a 2g mas is a good upgrade for the 550 injectors. The leaner signal (compared to 1G sensor) about 20% leaner, compliments the 550's well. It would not be very hard to fine tune the AFC with this set up and a logger.

The 2G sensor is known to be good for at least 400hp.

The translator is also a common upgrade. I have read that it is sensitive to temperature changes and weather conditions. It has some adjustment to it unlike the 2G mas. It consists of 4 dip switches and 4 dials for tuning. Many purchase this unit because when installed in the "blow through" setup you can vent the BOV to the atmosphere.

In the end the choice is up to you.

Don't use anyones AFC settings to tune your car. Every car is different. The AFC should be tuned by the readings off of your logger.

Thanks for all the help Jim , so far . I will locate and purchase a 2G maf . Is that plug and play , re-wire , or harness connect ? I will post after I install it . So do not unsubscribe just yet there Jim . :D . Thanks again and can we get this guy another chiclet :thumb: .

You know we all love Bruce . ROFL . But you did abandon me several post back . On the 5th I believe . But for the record and I quote , well me . " Without the hard work , knowledge , endless reading , countless hours reading identical threads , sleepless nights worrying about other peoples car problems , this site would not exist or function to the quality level that it does without the mods , wiseman , 5 star generals , founder and other multiple chiclet having brothers of this site . " Oh yeah and thanks BRUCE .

A wiring harness can be made or purchased to be plug and play.

Many get the stock 2G plug and hardwire it to the car harness. Others use the 1G power transistor plug and hardwire it after swapping one wire on the connector. (the plug shape is the same)

You will need a need a 2g Mas adapter to bolt the mas on the stock intake tube. You will need a new air filter with the 2G Mas also. The other option is to buy or make a new hard intake tube. You will still need a new flter. Check the vendors on this forum.

The help is not a problem.

Lets see if this is the right fix and go from there. :dsm:

(EDIT:) Yes, lets not forget about Bruce I was sure he was hovering over us to catch me if I slip. I try my best. I am glad he is here to back me up. I definately think we can get the problem fixed.

what's that brown stuff on your nose?:p I didn't abondon you, jim was doing a good job and my job is to moderate as you can see my title says "moderator", which allows me to be lazy from time to time. :)

I understand your role oldman . Just giving you the stuff on my nose :D . Thanks for the link .

Is the air flow meter the same as mas or maf ? Checking the junkyards right now . I see an air flow meter listed for parts not the other . :confused:

ROOKIE1 said:
Is the air flow meter the same as mas or maf ? Checking the junkyards right now . I see an air flow meter listed for parts not the other . :confused:
That is probably the same but print out a picture from the vfaq to double check. Make sure none of the honeycombs inside the 2G mas are removed (hacked).

Does turbo or nt matter ? Do not have pics, Car-parts.com , junkyard database .

ROOKIE1 said:
Going to pick one up , I hope it does'nt matter .:confused:
Oh, I missed your last post some how. 2G n/t do not use a maf, you need the 2G turbo MAS.

I didn't see you post last night on the turbo-n/t question either. I have to got to bed sometime. LOL Then I have to work too. :D Thanks Oldman for stepping back in while I was away. :thumb:

Here is a picture of a 2G MAS installed in my 1G. Just in case you didn't pick one up yet and still don't know what to look for.

The second pic is of a 1G sensor. I put this picture on here so you can see the honeycombs and compare it to yours when you remove it. The larger honeycomb should always remain in. On a 2G sensor all honeycombs should be in.

Attachments

• DSCN1197.JPG
    DSCN1197.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN1194.JPG
    DSCN1194.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 196
That is what I bought , pic 1 . Where did you get the air filter adapter ? How did you wire it ? Transistor plug , 2 g maf plug ? I will need a different intake pipe won't I ? It is a hard pipe I have now . But it does not look like it will fit with the 2g mas and filter :notgood: . Everybody said get a different car and not to fix it WTF . I said it was cheaper to fix this one . I am thinking I was definately wrong this time . good thing my wife can't read this .

I actually got the air filter and adapter from a friend, he has a 1G MAS, so I adopted it. I purchased the Hard Air Intake at one of the Shootouts here in Norwalk. I love it when the parts come to me. :thumb:

I have seen the adapters and filters on EBAY, otherwise check the vendors on this site they have the intakes too.

I used the transistor plug to wire the 2G MAS. Swap the end wire/pin if you are going to use one of these plugs.

Do you have a hard intake on a 1G MAS? If that is the case you might be able to find a coupler for mounting the 2G MAS on the 1G hard MAS pipe.

If you have the stock aircan and turbo inlet piping for a 1G you can use that set up like the VFAQ suggests. That should make the wife happy. Getting rid of "junk" and saving money at the same time.

http://vfaq.com/mods/2GMAF-1G.html (oldman's link earlier this thread)

Don't get rid of your car, compare my avatar to the blue talon in my profile, they are the same car. :D It just take some love. :dsm:

I got one off of a 95 Galant . I also got the plug and about a foot of wire , still attached . The colors of the wires in vfaq do not matter right . I only need to be sure the pins in 2g plug match the pins in 1g plug . Obviously I broke out the plug on old mas . I should wire it just like the two pink numbered pics on vfaq , correct ?

Auto RS T said:
I am not positive that the Galant uses the same style sensor.

But common sense tells me that if it looks similar and plugs in with a similar connector, that it should not be diffenent from a 2G MAS.

So, (IMO) I would wire it like the Pink numbers show. :thumb:
The sensor is the same . I entered a 98 talon into , Car-parts.com , a junkyard database and it cross referenced the Galant . Cost me 75$ . Forgot the plug , got that for free today :thumb: . Just wanted to confirm before I solder it together .

Auto RS T said:
Don't get rid of your car, compare my avatar to the blue talon in my profile, they are the same car. :D It just take some love. :dsm:
I actually thought that was snow , when I first saw that pic :D .

I got it wired according to vfaq . I plug it in , now I do not have a coupler , I still get a maf code . Now do I need it all to be hooked back up so I can check wiring . As in couplers , filter , and intake ? Should I still get a code without all of that hooked up ?:confused:

ROOKIE1 said:
I got it wired according to vfaq . I plug it in , now I do not have a coupler , I still get a maf code . Now do I need it all to be hooked back up so I can check wiring . As in couplers , filter , and intake ? Should I still get a code without all of that hooked up ?:confused:
Pull the negative battery and reset the ECU first, if the code comes back, go back to the wiring. You should not throw a code as long as the mas is plugged in, but first you need to clear the old code first.

After I change the fuel trims with the safc , how long before they register on my logger ? Also it sounds like I have an air leak somewhere around my intake mani . I am guessing it is injector seals . I have yet to see these for sale , other than stock replacements , from any vendors . Where to buy ? Also I found a 2g intake pipe in the classifieds . I will update once I receive it . Thanks again .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back