The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

BISS/Base Timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ho0ked

15+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2005
Northern Va., Asia
Ungh!!! My car needs a doctor.

Idles at 1100....
If I turn the idle scew to 750 Rpm I get motor shaking.....
Motor shaking = Timing is off, i'm told???

M shity Hayes manuel doesn't acurately describe how to set the base idle.Or the base timing.

None of the Mitsu dealerships in my town will touch the car because of the hard pipes and bov. (figures)

I'd rather get this done by a place that know WTF there doing since I do not have the ability on my own. Just don't trust aftermarket shops to set a factory spec LOL.

Any Ideas ? i'm so bent, I dont want to get my new turbo till I get this part of the motor in good order.

PS Last sunday a Deer hit my car at 50+ MPH!!!! :cry:

1st Deer that ever got me :mad:

Lost windshield, driver fender, driver mirror, driver wiper + whole wiper transmission, + pushed in my door a little OMG

I got all the parts for $160 from a boneyard but, the best quote I got on paint matching the fender was $150, after 20 calls ranging from $215-$600 WTF

Had the car all of 2 1/2 weeks /sigh

Yea I tried the vfaq thingy, its about as useful as my Hayes manual LOL!

It doesn't say EXACTLY what pins on the plugs to ground for base idle, and I don't have access to a $1800 scan tool. I do have the $150 Advance auto parts scanner though :D Not sure it will do that though :confused:

And I don't yet have timing tools nor the knowledge to go mesing with my timing.

And mine is a 2G btw.

Thanks for the response though :D

There is only 1 pin to ground. Go to your local parts store and buy a pair of alligator clipped leads. You will need them often. Buy a good tiing light, it's a must.
that's all you need. I have a 1g but will check out vfaq and see what's different if anything. Mark
a 2g times just like a 1g. SIMPLE! Go to vfaq and click on engine and then scrolldown to timing. Mentions the parts you willneed and has directions WITH pics! Honestly If you can't time a car you had better put a for sale sign on the car because if you have to farm out every job you must be rich or will be very poor very quick. If you read the instructions and still have trouble PM me or call 315-253-6088. Mark

Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend.
Just got done pulling my h00d, cow panel and wiper transmission and fender from the deer :mad:

All went back together well. Now I only need to get this purple fender paint matched next week LOL!

Base timing is not adjustable on 2G's unless you are running a 1G CAS. I see no mention of it in your profile so I will assume that you don't have one. By "motor shake" what exactly do you mean? Do you have solid motor mounts in the car? You're driving a modded DSM so vibration is something you may have to get used to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back