The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Tig/Stick Welder on the cheap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamble97

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2006
small town, Illinois
For those that want to try their hand at tig welding without breaking the bank, check out the everlast powerarc 160. Jody put up this video today and it seems like a good little machine for only $500!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CblpZF54_uM&feature=g-all-u

Stick/tig (foot pedal separate and DC only, NO aluminum)
Also dual voltage, so 110v or 220v.

Everlast PowerArc 160
PowerARC 160 STH - Welders, Tig Welder, 225 Welder, Plasma Cutting Machine, Accessories, Multi Purpose Unit

If I didn't have my miller already and didn't have a use for doing aluminum I would jump on this deal!

For just a little more you can get the everlast tig/stick/plasma unite. Really wish they did aluminum though.

2 devices in 1 seems like a good idea. Anything more than 2 seems like a bad idea. There is a reason a mig welder, tig welder, plasma cutter are so large to being with. No you take all of those and stuff them into the same size box you will have problems.
My stick welder is the size of a 20oz pepsi bottle, so that and another operation in the same box is no big deal to me.

Bringing this back because the price is great. I want a good starter Tig machine. I'm not too knowledgeable with welding, I can do a good job with MIG.

So my question is why exactly wont this work with Aluminum? The main reason I want a MIG is for Stainless but I want to do aluminum also.

I have yet to try an Eastwood. Is there any noticeable difference between that and a Miller or Lincoln? That's a real good price for a welder with those features. I'll have to look around here and see if anyone has one I could try out.

I have yet to try an Eastwood. Is there any noticeable difference between that and a Miller or Lincoln? That's a real good price for a welder with those features. I'll have to look around here and see if anyone has one I could try out.

I asked about eastwood stuff for a friend on here and he's since bought a lot of it since getting good reviews, BUT he has the plasma and 200dx (miller name cloned) TIGmachine and for a TIG that's said to be a "200" itstill only welds like a 160 amp unit, 3/16ths' is it's rated usage, and it's just not the same as a miller or hobart.. the inverTIG, themalARC are better units at prices between the eastwood and miller units

also, any Hobart bought in the last 8-10 years is gonna be the same as a miller because miller now owns them. i bnought my MIG when the take over first started and it's a hobard machine (brand new i got it) and it has MIller gun and sheath on it LOL
\
if you want a truely killer ,machine, lookon miller welding forums and buy a used dynasty 200DX, that's what i own and it's awesome,the arc tailoring you can do and other features makeit perform like a 250 amp machine and gives you the control of an airbrush vs. a spray paint can when it comes to how you cna lay beads, you can get a used one for about 2500 in good shape with all attachments...new mine was 4100 for just the box and "contractor pack" (has tig torch, ground, stinger clamp, and foot pedal), by the timei had what i needed to get welding (gas, rod etc.... and smaller # 9 torch for fine work as well as a stock of tungsten) i had over 7k in receipts in the first 3 days

Yeah. I want a starter machine. I have a 8000 dollar Miller whenever I want but the problem is its my room mates dads, not mine, and I know for a fact if I get it over here, my room mate will be up my ass about "do this, do this, your doing it wrong" bla bla bla. Sharing tools is never fun. I like the price of this lil guy here for 480 bucks. but I wanna do aluminum too. Because of you Calan I've been highly interested in that Eastwood. Just because of what I've seen you do with it. My main focus is Stainless and Aluminum.

And I want the machine to be allllll mine! Esp. to learn on. I don't think learning on such an advanced machine would help me out.

There's a big price difference between a $3000 Miller and a $900 "starter machine". :)

I know,but you can find used miller maxstar 150stl units for under agrand, they are only 1500 new and are like the first link DC only and stick, but with miller you know you have support for life because thei're not goign anywhere

Yeah. I want a starter machine. I have a 8000 dollar Miller whenever I want but the problem is its my room mates dads, not mine, and I know for a fact if I get it over here, my room mate will be up my ass about "do this, do this, your doing it wrong" bla bla bla. Sharing tools is never fun. I like the price of this lil guy here for 480 bucks. but I wanna do aluminum too. Because of you Calan I've been highly interested in that Eastwood. Just because of what I've seen you do with it. My main focus is Stainless and Aluminum.

And I want the machine to be allllll mine! Esp. to learn on. I don't think learning on such an advanced machine would help me out.

I feel ya,i don't pitch in on tools with people or like to borrow or lend them, even my friends while HERE have to "sign in" the last tool they took to get the nextone they need (there's no sign in sheet, but i ask where it is and is it back where it came from because i never let em leave my properrty and still friends loose them constantlyu and i pay good money for em)

So i totally understandthat

LOL yeah I do that. I have a few things like engine crane and other stuff I rent out. And I with this welder like I said, he will be up my ass trying to "show me" how its done but I know he doesn't know jack shit. I just want the welder at my finger tips and do whatever I want. if I screw up my piece because of bad settings, my bad! (keyword my). Thats fine, thats how I learn, what works and what doesn't.

Picking up a Miller Maxstar 150 STL with a ton of accessories tomorrow. This will be good for the generator setup Im working with at the moment.

I don't think you are going to find anything that does both steel and aluminum with the Eastwood's features and warranty at anywhere near the price...unless you just get one hell of a deal on a used machine that is still under warranty.

And... it runs off of 110v (or 220v). ;)

You've been doing aluminum with yours. You saying it wont weld steel?

I got a maxstar 150 and its awesome. Im even assigned my own one at work and i can vouch for how much abuse it takes on a daily basis. I think its a pretty good starter, easy to use, but a little on the pricy side, many have had good success with eastwoods but when i used one for the first time at my buddys i did not like it at all, but idk if it's becuase all ive ever used was either lincoln or miller but i noticed a big difference in my welds and was not pleased. But if your badly in a budget just get the eastwood, my friend still uses his to this day apparently last I saw him. I guess itd be up to our preference.

unit will do alluminum with the alluminum electrodes.
meaning aluminum STICK welding electrodes which at best looks like a bird flew by and pooped silver looking stuff on the weld joint LOL DC doesn't do aluminum TIG or it wouls specify tungsten which on an inverter machine no longer matters and doesn't need "balled" read the fine print opn it

I got a maxstar 150 and its awesome. Im even assigned my own one at work and i can vouch for how much abuse it takes on a daily basis. I think its a pretty good starter, easy to use, but a little on the pricy side, many have had good success with eastwoods but when i used one for the first time at my buddys i did not like it at all, but idk if it's becuase all ive ever used was either lincoln or miller but i noticed a big difference in my welds and was not pleased. But if your badly in a budget just get the eastwood, my friend still uses his to this day apparently last I saw him. I guess itd be up to our preference.

that's what a miller does, it spoils you, I was okwith the eastwood my friend got but being that it's called the 200DX (same as my dynasty by miller) i was dissapointed in penetration, arc formation and a few other things,. their other tools are great but you don't just hot into building welding units that compare to miller/hobart standards, but starter machines are starter machines, personally even broke/disabled i'd save for a good unit you can get your money oiut opf if you decide it's not your thing or will last 20 years if you love it and do it as much as i do now that i can't work for a living anjd have to weld/machine/fab for people here an there to pay my way through life

My new toy, not bad for under $800 for everything!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And some copper because I wanted to try.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back