The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

the strangest sound followed by shut off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSX4111

Probationary Member
Jun 17, 2015
Neenah, Wisconsin
Hey all. Hope I'm posting this right as it's my first. I have owned a few dsms over the years but never had this happen...I have had my 95 eclipse gsx now for a couple months and drove it to work today just fine. Upon getting in after work it fired right up with what seemed to be a battery bog (occasionally happens..figured battery is going, I'm the second owner and he said it's 3 years old) the car starts every time I turn the key but makes a very similar sound to the fuel injectors firing only a little louder. With out giving it gas it will only run a second or two before abruptly stopping. Before I got picked up I tried one more time got the same noise but tried to pump the gas to assist it to idle longer to investigate the location..it cut out just as abruptly but pumping gave it a few more seconds. I can smell the gas so I'm not thinking fuel. And it does not sound like that deep knock of a rod bearing. It sounds in the head but I wasn't able to get close enough to it. I'm not sure how to describe the smell I noticed when I shut it off this morning other than maybe sweet? I only bring that up because of a different post I read on here about the ecu smelling and causing tick/dying. Bought the car stock and have only changed intake and bov
a few weeks ago now and it was fine till today...
Also had to change map sensor last week.
Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone

My rod knock sounded like it was coming from a lifter but it was the piston hitting the head....

could be crank angle sensor, MFI relay, ECU, ignitor, coil packs, etc. My cash money is on crank angle sensor.

This normally goes either from age, crank runout (bent crank), or excessive crank thrust play (crankwalk).

Pull your timing covers, and take a peek at what is going on with the crank angle sensor. You could always take off the flywheel inspection plate (if installed), and put a prybar between the block and the flywheel and do a visual check for crank thrust play. if you have a magnetic base dial indicator that will help too.

Well... That doesn't sound good. Is there a physical test to check that sensor or is visual kinda it? I know that's a crowded area in there. The car is stuck at work so my options are kinda limited but I'll do what I have to.

Could be the camshaft position sensor, its on the head and will make a ticking sound if the screws on it back out and allow it to hit the reluctor wheel thats on the back of the intake cam gear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back