The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

The Official Welding Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm using a Miller Syncrowave 200 and I'm happy with the results. Although if a nice inverter machine came along I wouldn't pass it up.

I have a Miller 180SD at home and honestly if I were to do it again I would have gone bigger and looked more into a generator powered welder. Mainly due to missing out on side work when the person was unable to bring their piece to me. If money were not an issue I would have one of the Miller Dynasty welders without a doubt, I really like how they weld. Nothing against Lincoln welders as they are quality machines themselves. As far as a smaller welder that doesn't take up much space and puts down really nice beads is the Thermal Arc 185. I've used these out on the dock when welding up the tuna towers and was impressed with its capabilities.

I have a wire feed Lincoln welder. It was a freebie. Next is a MIG for me as I would like to be able to weld more materials. However I suck at welding so far.

Crawlin, wire feed is MIG *unless you're technically saying you have no gas hookup.

Yea the thermal arc 185's are very nice machines for being 185amp TIG's, I used one on site when I got contracted to do some "widget welding" for a local waterjet cutting company, not sure what i was welding except that they were little SS pieces made from 3/8th's thick T304 stainless, but i was really impressed with what the machine could do being that prior to working with that one i'd never heard of them before.

Lincoln invertecs are pretty damn decent too and are a big price cut compared to the miller units, but when it comes to welding i bleed blue - and well, orange since hobart was bought out by miller many years ago now and everything that was lacking in their machines was replaced with miller parts. Hobart units that were released around the tme of the buyout could often be found to have parts with the miller name still on them (i've seen many hobart handler 140's with miller guns on them)

I would seriousely avoid HF units and find a used miller, lincoln or thermadyne unit for the same price. Not that i've had issues with the HF units but the ones rated at 125 amps are more like 90 amps and so on in the ratings.

However stay the hell away from ANY plasma units that aren't a real namebrand being osld at HF, wheni was researching them (plasmas) i didn't find a single person in any post anywhere that didn't have theirs burn out on the first to third use, only to be replaced multiple times, even had a friend not listen and get one only to burn it right up and after many replacements just exchanged it on something else.

Also: If you have a Dynasty, start googling "dynasty 200DX hidden menu" (or whatever your model put it in the search) you'll find a few cool features like resets to OEM on things like arc starting parameters, as well as some other demo type stuff and being able to see how many actual hours of "arc time" the machine has on it - which is also handy when buying a used one, at least it lets you see if the owner is telling the truth about the amount of use the machine has seen, but hell, in Miller, you can get one with 40 hours of "arc time" and it will be as good as new, find one with 1000 hours and it will probably still weld just as good as anything in it's class. But with the increase in square wave, softwave and other adjustments you have endless posibilities on what you can do.

My machine (200DX) has a normal arc starting of 40 amps, which when turned down to about 15 will let you getthe hang of welding beer cans together without immediately blowing holes in them as well as doing razor blades edge to edge (i took a tip from Jody and started handing out cars to businesses either taped to two soda cans welded but to but or with two blades welded edge to edge glued to the back. Although this only proves that you practiced doing just those jobs for a period of time enough to get good at it, it also shows that you can probably weld other things really good if you've gotten so bored you decided to learn those items for the challenge of it. Another thing i handed out to a few places were razors welded to little pieces of 1/2" thick SS scraps (again edge welded to SS piece to show skills)

well, i'm rambling about little nothings, gues i'll cut this off here

I have a wire feed Lincoln welder. It was a freebie. Next is a MIG for me as I would like to be able to weld more materials. However I suck at welding so far.

I had a Lincoln Pro Core 125 up until recently. It was just a flux core wire feed, but I liked it. I'm going to get the Easy MIG 140 in the next few weeks. I like that one because you can use it with or without gas.

Just scanned over the thread looking for any info on 110v Mig's didn't notice anything.

Quick question cause the answer seems to be "no" but i'm going to ask here since some of you have a lot more experience in welding in general than I do. IS there such a thing as a decent 110v MIG welder?

By decent I mean close to replicating the results of a 220v machine on thin metal? So far all the 110v machines I have used were horrible compared to my old mans 220v Lincon. (yes they had shielding gas, not sure of the mixture though)

P.S. I can weld well, on any moderately thick material with my old mans 220v MIG... but I want a welder mostly for thin things like pipe and brackets 1/4" material and thinner.

Just scanned over the thread looking for any info on 110v Mig's didn't notice anything.

Quick question cause the answer seems to be "no" but i'm going to ask here since some of you have a lot more experience in welding in general than I do. IS there such a thing as a decent 110v MIG welder?

By decent I mean close to replicating the results of a 220v machine on thin metal? So far all the 110v machines I have used were horrible compared to my old mans 220v Lincon. (yes they had shielding gas, not sure of the mixture though)

P.S. I can weld well, on any moderately thick material with my old mans 220v MIG... but I want a welder mostly for thin things like pipe and brackets 1/4" material and thinner.
You don't need much of a MIG welder to do thin stuff. It doesn't take much amperage to do 16 and 18 gauge tubing. I use a Clarke 130EN. I got it brand new on a trade about 6 years ago and it's served me well ever since. It's capabilities are limited due to it's lack of power (only 130 amps), but it's great for all the little stuff that I use it for. The ground clamp that it uses is junk, but that was an easy $10 fix. Otherwise, it's an excellent entry level MIG welder.

EDIT: I actually got the kit. The cart and regulator are run of the mill and work fine. The helmet was absolute junk though.

The Hobart 130 is another great option and is pretty comparable to my Clarke: http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500549-Auto-Wire-Welder/dp/B002VECKTC/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Last edited:
^^^ I'm totally buying one of Jody's TIG Fingers. I like thin gloves and resting on the material, but hate burns. I tried to make my own last week, but I failed miserably.

They are pretty handy especially when welding out of position and using the base metal for support. Been using them for the past year in class.

I actually just took my AWS 3G GTAW aerospace certification on SS. Waiting for the xray results to come back. Next week I take my 7018 structural cert too.

For those interested in welding it is worth it to pay for education/training as it makes the learning curve much easier.

Nope, but I have heard good things about it.

With MIG welders you will not get a 110v mig that goes over 140 amps. However 140amps can get you pretty far, and preheating also helps out a lot too. For the hobbiest there isn't really a need for much more than 140 amps.

Annyone using a harbor freight auto darkening helmet..I am..It still works too..

The key is to squint before arching..It doesn't darken as fast as a miller helmet..

My last apartment had a 220 outlet right next to my computer desk ;)

Putting a TIG in the living room was the plan the minute I toured the place. Too bad they're so darn expensive.

I wish I was in a position to even borrow/use someone else's TIG just to get the learning process started. Keep the good info flowing, everyone. I'm sure some day I'll use it!

ROFL..If I could talk my girl into letting me buy a tig, then place it in the living room, and tig in the house..I'd have to put a ring on that...

She does let me keep dsm parts in the house tho..I tell her I keep them in here to keep them warm..

Annyone using a harbor freight auto darkening helmet..I am..It still works too...

I got one about a month ago. Mine still works too!:thumb:

I'm super happy with my Millermatic 140.

i use a lincoln precision 225 and its pretty nice. Startup as low as 5 amps for that really thin material. For everyone learning with aluminum get yourself some 2% lanthanated tungsten (blue). It works much better than anything ive tried so far and its non radioactive unlike thoriated. A helium argon mix also works quite well for aluminum. And remember just because you read suggestions on electrode types doesnt mean thats set in stone for you. As always everyone will have their preferences and all machines may not act the same with different electrodes so try them until you find what works for you. Also a gas lense helps alot especially if your a beginner or you like the electrode sticking out alot. Paul ill be getting a pyrex setup when i finish my water cooler and ill report back if i notice any differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this new torch at work. I love it for funny hand positions. Its a weld craft. Not sure on model.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I really like my Miller Performanc Series Welding Helmet. For the work I have done it has been very good.
I also really like my Miller 211 Auto set. It let me to jump right into welding and allowed me to focus on my bead and less on settings. If you have the money and are buying a mig it get two thumbs up from me. Now I really want a TIG setup.

Soon TIG machine you will be mine. You will be mine. :)

I run to low of amps for an auto hood. So I cut mine to tilt it for tacking. Helps on weight too. 12 hours a day will screw your neck up popping the hood down!

I'm liking this thread. I've been shopping around for a Tig. Definatly looking to go with an Inverter. I currently have a old Lincoln 100 mig (set up for all my sheet metal work) I also picked up a Miller 211 Mig which I use on my mini truck projects and any of my other heavier welding. I've grown fond of my Miller Mig. Been using a Jackson auto dark helmet for some time. I'm never doing more then an hours worth of welding at a time.
If anyone has some recommendations for a Tig... I'm looking to do aluminum and steel up to 1/4". I would like an inverter. Price... $2500. I would like to go with Miller or Lincoln as I want to be able to get parts or have it serviced if needed. Lincoln seems to have inverters at better prices. But am finding it hard to compair with how their sites are set up.

Ever heard of the water cooled miller tig? Too damm pricey but it's sweet..
You can water cool with any TIG welder. Just add a cooler and swap out the torch. Though it's really not needed unless you're welding with high amperage or welding continuously for extended periods of time.

Jeff - Consider a Lincoln Invertec V205-T. It's another one of my dream boxes, right next to the Miller Dynasty 200. You can get the whole V205-T kit for about $3k. Lincoln Invertec V205-T DC TIG Welder One Pak K2671-1 | eBay

Thanks for the link. I don't think this one caught my eye, although I was on Lincolns site, I think their actual prices pushed me away. Have to remember to look at actual retail. I don't mind spending more as I hope to have many years of welding ahead of me. I was looking at the Dynasty, but with all the add on's price gets up there.

I know with tig welders, they don't really rate to what metal thickness they can work with. But Miller shows metal thickness and Lincoln does not. Can the 205 handle 1/4" welding, say of link bars?

Oh and water cooled is pretty cool. Got to play with a set up at school and its not too shabby.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back