The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The 14b Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm in with Phil. Even with built engines, after the break-in, back to Mobil1 10w-30. Never had any issues. However, since I can get the Brad Penn oil through my parts business, I'll probably swap over to that and just buy a case at a time.

My lugs and battery terminals came in. Everything is up and running except for my turn signals. Oh well, I'm probably going to trailer it anyway. Looks like this Friday is a go, we'll see how she does! Honestly I'd be happy with mid 12's. I don't want to set my sights too high. I've never driven a car with slicks before.

I've been just using 10w-30 Castro Syntec/Edge in my DSM. I just switched to Mobile 1 10w-30 in the EVO though. I'll probably switch the DSM to Brad Penn on the next change.

I just have to bust your balls Phil. I do understand life changes. My times so consumed these days my dsm life has slowed way way down.

Looks like most of you guys are running fancy oil.

My next outing I'm thinkin of swapping out a few things.
First switching out the Valvoline 20-50 for something lighter.
Second thinking of swapping out my factory crank pulley for a lightweight underdrive
Third changing out the 2.5" section of my intake for 3" or running a full 4" intake.

Hopefully there all positive changes.

Once you learn the launch, I would guess at a minimum high 11s!

Justin, I have an aluminum crank pulley on my motor right now if you want it. I am not sure if it's underdrive or not. I'd be willing to do a straight trade for your stock crank pulley. I'll probably drop the coin on a Fluidampr harmonic damper over the winter, but would like to get a stock one back in return for the aluminum one.

My lugs and battery terminals came in. Everything is up and running except for my turn signals. Oh well, I'm probably going to trailer it anyway. Looks like this Friday is a go, we'll see how she does! Honestly I'd be happy with mid 12's. I don't want to set my sights too high. I've never driven a car with slicks before.

I've been just using 10w-30 Castro Syntec/Edge in my DSM. I just switched to Mobile 1 10w-30 in the EVO though. I'll probably switch the DSM to Brad Penn on the next change.

Dude maybe another 11sec 14b car before the years over :thumb:

Justin, I have an aluminum crank pulley on my motor right now if you want it. I am not sure if it's underdrive or not. I'd be willing to do a straight trade for your stock crank pulley. I'll probably drop the coin on a Fluidampr harmonic damper over the winter, but would like to get a stock one back in return for the aluminum one.

I do appreciate the offer. I do however have two different unorthodox pulleys. I have just the under drive and then the lightweight version. I wanted to swap the lightweight version at the track last time to see if there was a real world difference, but I didn't get time.

There have been back to back dyno comparisons with a 16g using different intakes and the 4" actually dropped horsepower because of the severe step going from the big intake pipe to the little turbo inlet. Just something to consider.

Now where these just intakes or ram air styles?? I have mine coming straight out the front. I know that's something a dyno can't simulate. I know goin from not having one on a 16g to have the ram air was a back to back gain of 2-3 mph everytime.

You're really running without a dampener? Those aluminum pulleys are terrible.

I wouldn't look to much into those number drops on the larger intakes.

Chris Ferruchie ran 10.2 with a 4" intake 450awp
Curt Brown/Pat Donaldson ran 10.3 with a 4" intake 499awp

Both car's tuned at tpg

You're really running without a dampener? Those aluminum pulleys are terrible.

I wouldn't look to much into those number drops on the larger intakes.

Chris Ferruchie ran 10.2 with a 4" intake 450awp
Curt Brown/Pat Donaldson ran 10.3 with a 4" intake 499awp

Both car's tuned at tpg

I've got the stock pulley on there now. Was looking to drop another 2.5 lbs off my total weight and hopefully free up a few hp in the process.

Aren't those pretty much apples to oranges comparisons?? A 14b isn't gonna clear those hp numbers and isnt going to require the same amount of air as those cars.

Even in ram air form I guess I can see there being such thing as to big of an intake. Just a thought but the turbo really is only gonna take what air it needs. So what air it doesn't take in might sit in the tube a little longer and heat up.

I've run an aluminum pulley for more than a decade, zero issues. Pretty terrible. What's terrible is when a stock pulley splits and leaves you stranded. Fluidampr are whats terrible.:p

I'm in with Phil. Even with built engines, after the break-in, back to Mobil1 10w-30. Never had any issues. However, since I can get the Brad Penn oil through my parts business, I'll probably swap over to that and just buy a case at a time.

It's never let me down, my engine is super clean inside and cylinder walls are beautiful....why change!?

Never even heard of Brad Penn.....he should change the name to Pennsoil or something catchy like that...ROFL

Name sounds like it comes out of the cornfields with E fuel.

I've run an aluminum pulley for more than a decade, zero issues. Pretty terrible. What's terrible is when a stock pulley splits and leaves you stranded. Fluidampr are whats terrible.:p

I've run an aluminum pulley in the past, never had any issues. I currently have a fluidampr though, what do you think is so terrible about it? It's definitely not worth the risk to be running a stock pulley given the age of these cars (unless you have a new-ish one). My friend's pulley recently separated on the dyno and took out his converter bolts:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's never let me down, my engine is super clean inside and cylinder walls are beautiful....why change!?

Never even heard of Brad Penn.....he should change the name to Pennsoil or something catchy like that...ROFL

Name sounds like it comes out of the cornfields with E fuel.

Here's the link to their website:

Welcome!

And some info FP posted about oils:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/...Performance Recommendations for Motor Oil.pdf

Mobil 1 ain't what it used to be.

Ask Buschur's opinion on those aluminum pulleys. Lol

For those of you just popping in and still daily driving your car.. Absolutely do not run a aluminum pulley on a car that is seeing road use daily. It is ok to run a aluminum pulley in a car that didn't come with a dampener from the factory.(420a)

For those of you just popping in and still daily driving your car.. Absolutely do notrun a aluminum pulley on a car that is seeing road use daily.

So this is not ok??

run a aluminum pulley on a car that is seeing road use daily. It is ok to run a aluminum pulley in a car that didn't come with a dampener from the factory.(420a)

So the 420a is some sort of super car that makes it ok??

Ive had the lightweight pulley on this engine when I was running the 40R. Ive had over 80 passes and everything under the pan checks out great. Im not to worried about whats gonna happen at this point. My main concern was the power added or not added with the pulley. Well and splitting a stock one.

420a didn't come with a dampener from the factory. I'm not aware of anyone making one for it. That's great that you didn't have any serious bearing issues. The fact is that anything could cause a catastrophic failure. Is the risk worth the reward? Anyone break-in a motor with one of these lightweight pulleys?

I was breaking in a motor with a fluidmpr and a fidanza flywheel. The bearing clearance was on the tighter side but well within the FSM specs (.0017"). A few miles into the break-in everything was fine, than 175 miles later i found out that my thrust bearing didn't like such a tight clearance, all the other bearings looked fine though. BogusSVO, said that it looked like oil starvation. Not sure if fluidmpr had anything to do with it or just a larger motor with higher comp and bigger cams had something to do with it.

Anyways, it is back down to bare block right now, going to get the crank polished and plan to use some acl race bearings this time with an extra .001" clearance.

420a didn't come with a dampener from the factory. I'm not aware of anyone making one for it. That's great that you didn't have any serious bearing issues. The fact is that anything could cause a catastrophic failure. Is the risk worth the reward? Anyone break-in a motor with one of these lightweight pulleys?

Actually the engine im running was broke in with the lightweight pulley that im going to bolt back on.

Figure it like this if the 420a in fact did come without a dampener then other engines done right can do the same.

Brad Penn is a bad ass oil, it's run in actual race cars. It can be hard to find though. Mobil 1 is easy to find, but once you start making some power or running certain kinds of turbos you won't want to use it. A good locally available option is Valvoline VR1 race oil. Advance and Autozone carry it in different weights, regular and synthetic. I run it in all my cars. Use whatever works for you, but the VR1 is cheap insurance and easy to find, no excuse to not run it.

A good locally available option isValvoline VR1 race oil. Advance and Autozone carry it in different weights, regular and synthetic. I run it in all my cars. Use whatever works for you, but the VR1 is cheap insurance and easy to find, no excuse to not run it.

This is what ive been using and has been a great oil. It saved my engine last year on a real bad misshift and the engine reved to the moon.

I was walking out of summit last week and was looking at all the Brad Penn oil they had stocked on the shelf. Looks like I may give it a try for awhile.

I was recommended Brad Penn by my machine shop, looked into it and really liked what I read. Soon after FP released their article, I haven't used anything else in the talon since.

As for the underdrive pulley I don't know anyone who has had a failure they could link to it, but I have seen many stock pulleys fail. Dampening is a good thing but I'm not sure that it's totally required. Personally I don't think underdrive pullies to be worth much in the power department though, I could be wrong haven't seen the dyno sheet.

As for Dave B. I respect what he's done in the community but often disagree with his opinions.

Last edited:
As for the underdrive pulley I don't know anyone who has had a failure they could link to it, but I have seen many stock pulleys fail. Dampening is a good thing but I'm not sure that it's totally required. Personally I don't think underdrive pullies to be worth much in the power department though, I could be wrong haven't seen the dyno sheet.

Might just have to wait til I get to the track and get a few runs in to swap it out. If I get any kind of consistant mph gain then I'll know its doing better. If not at least I'll be 2.5 lbs lighter overall.

I still can't say that crank broke due to a underdrive pulley. Remanufactured crank that may or not have been done correctly and/or balanced correctly. I agree that dampners are a good thing though, a nice safety measure if you will.

I still can't say that crank broke due to a underdrive pulley. Remanufactured crank that may or not have been done correctly and/or balanced correctly. I agree that dampners are a good thing though, a nice safety measure if you will.

Exactly, And i see the same horsepower gains from running the aluminum compared to the fluidampr.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back