The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Stuck in first gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mork

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Strangely enough my transmission has decided to stick in 1st gear only and I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to why. Could a bad tcu cause this? If it is bad then will pulling the tcu cause it to go into limp mode? Checking to see if the car physically can change gears would be helpful if that would work. I'm also considering whether this could be an issue with a stuck valve in the valve body.

Any ideas?

normally when the car is in drive and at a stand still the trans will be in 2nd gear. untill you give it throttle it will remain in second then shift to 1st gear when you give the car throttle. you may want to check your fluid level and possibly change out the trans filter.

It is indeed automatic.

Fluid and filter are on the list but I'm hoping to find some ideas about what really might be wrong beyond just changing those. Fluid level is fine but it is somewhat burnt from some very spirited autocross sessions.

I think I'll pull the tcu and drive it without one at all to see what happens.

The only time I've seen this, a speck of dirt got into the valve body and was keeping a check ball from sealing. That being said, it was right after doing a shift kit. If you haven't had the valve body off, it seems a lot less likely.

I'll be going through the valve body and replacing the filter as well as soon as I can get time to be underneath it. I've searched everywhere and even WIX filters don't use the OEM style anymore. Does anyone know where I can order an OEM style transmission filter with the thicker body and two inlets?

Tore apart my valve body and cleaned every plate plus all the valves then re-installed with new fluid and filter. Car shifts fine now.

FWIW AFAIK there aren't any widely available OEM style filters anymore. Even Wix filters are the aftermarket style. I found one with a picture of an OEM style filter and spent $15 more on it just to find out it was the same generic aftermarket type.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back