The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved trans stuck in 2nd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duey170

Probationary Member
Dec 2, 2004
Boston, Massachuseftts
I searched but couldn't find anything.

The car will not shift at all, hooked up a scanner to tcu and it won't communicate. TCU is getting 12v and ground, doesn't "smell" fried. But i can't think of any other reason why the car would be stuck in 2nd gear. Anyone here care to point me in the right direction to diagnose this problem? This is my new daily driver so any help is appreciated.

If it is the TCU, does anyone have one for sale?

thanks

-duey

Solution
91Bomb said:
Your tcu put your trans in 2nd gear 'limp mode' for some reason.
Check your a/t fuse in fusebox near the brake pedal. Check all the trans fuses and relays you can locate. Try hooking up a voltmeter to the OBD connector to get a reading -- I'm pretty sure there's a code for a bad tcu like there is for a bad ecu. Try unplugging the wiring harness to the tcu and plug back in. If that doesn't work unplug it again and visually check all contacts, re-space the contacts with a miniature screwdriver and try spraying a little contact cleaner on 'em. -- this is what worked for me after 3 shops couldn't locate the problem. I had an alternator problem going on at the same time so if I was you I'd check the battery voltage with...
duey170 said:
I searched but couldn't find anything.

The car will not shift at all, hooked up a scanner to tcu and it won't communicate. TCU is getting 12v and ground, doesn't "smell" fried. But i can't think of any other reason why the car would be stuck in 2nd gear. Anyone here care to point me in the right direction to diagnose this problem? This is my new daily driver so any help is appreciated.

If it is the TCU, does anyone have one for sale?

thanks

-duey

Check your a/t fuse in fusebox near the brake pedal. Check all the trans fuses and relays you can locate. Try hooking up a voltmeter to the OBD connector to get a reading -- I'm pretty sure there's a code for a bad tcu like there is for a bad ecu. Try unplugging the wiring harness to the tcu and plug back in. If that doesn't work unplug it again and visually check all contacts, re-space the contacts with a miniature screwdriver and try spraying a little contact cleaner on 'em. -- this is what worked for me after 3 shops couldn't locate the problem. I had an alternator problem going on at the same time so if I was you I'd check the battery voltage with the car running and see if you're getting a steady and correct voltage. Bad alternators can cause all kinds of problems with your electronics. DO NOT GO TO AAMCO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If you definately need another tcu contact MITSUBISHIGRAVEYARD.com There's a good chance gary has one for your car.
Good luck.

91Bomb said:
Check your a/t fuse in fusebox near the brake pedal. Check all the trans fuses and relays you can locate. Try hooking up a voltmeter to the OBD connector to get a reading -- I'm pretty sure there's a code for a bad tcu like there is for a bad ecu. Try unplugging the wiring harness to the tcu and plug back in. If that doesn't work unplug it again and visually check all contacts, re-space the contacts with a miniature screwdriver and try spraying a little contact cleaner on 'em. -- this is what worked for me after 3 shops couldn't locate the problem. I had an alternator problem going on at the same time so if I was you I'd check the battery voltage with the car running and see if you're getting a steady and correct voltage. Bad alternators can cause all kinds of problems with your electronics. DO NOT GO TO AAMCO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If you definately need another tcu contact MITSUBISHIGRAVEYARD.com There's a good chance gary has one for your car.
Good luck.

UPDATE (for people who may have similar problems) :

I forgot to mention in my first post that my alternator did die on me when i first bought the car. So i picked up a TCU from a local junkyard, and that fix the problem. Strange thing was the car never threw a code for a bad TCU.

Appreciate the help 91Bomb.

Solution
so you looked at your tcu and it didnt look or smell bad but still turned out to be the problem? I am having this problem but have sent the tcu out to be repaired even though I couldnt smel or see anything wrong. I hope that is my problem.

Froyd79 said:
so you looked at your tcu and it didnt look or smell bad but still turned out to be the problem? I am having this problem but have sent the tcu out to be repaired even though I couldnt smel or see anything wrong. I hope that is my problem.

yeah i even took apart the tcu the other day and saw no obvious signs of any damage. G'luck with yours.

is it possible that a TCU might be bad even though it gives out short pulses(normal state) when reading the tcu error codes??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back