The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Stuck in 2nd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou D

Probationary Member
Oct 21, 2020
Worcester, Massachusetts
Guys I need help ..... I just got back from a car show and my eclipse stayed in 2nd gear .... Is it my speed sensor that in bad?
I have reverse and park also I need to know what it looks like because in may mind it looks different

Are you sure it is 2nd, I bet it is stuck in 3rd if its an auto. It is in limp mode. The TCU is seeing some bad parameters so it is going into a "failsafe" mode that would get you home in the event that all of the electronics quit working in the transmission. Park, Neutral, Reverse and 3rd take NO electricity to engage, it is all mechanical. Check the transmission solenoid pack connector and any and all connections coming off of the transmission which would include the pulse generators, and the kickdown servo also. Of course check the fluid level and smell the fluid to see if you smell anything with a burned smell and to check the color.
HERE is a good thread that talks about the capacitors. Steve even says in another thread that the capacitor next to the heatsink is usually a culprit. I couldn't find that thread quickly but he is a good source for info on the TCU's and ECU's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back