The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Automatic issues 91 eclipse gsx stuck in first gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefneal

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2011
Athens, Ohio
My eclipse shifted into 1st gear from third and will not shift can I get some help

I have never heard of this problem. You should still have manual gears 1-2-R-P. If this is not the case then let us know.

It doesn't sound like limp mode, cause then it would be stuck in 3rd gear..

Last edited by a moderator:
did you manually shove it back down to 1st from 3rd (which isn't too healthy to do with an auto in the first place) .. or, did you just happen to WOT where it kicked down all the way to 1st?

might have locked up something inside real bad.

Might have to go to a shop on this one....

It doesn't sound like linp mode..Cause then it would be stuck in 3rd gear..

There is a fuse for the A/T, when it blows, the transmission goes into whats called the "limp" mode. Check your fuses under driver side dash. You might be having some type of electrical issues if that fuse is bad.

The car has been in limp mode in third and the other day it finally down shifted. Now in drive it stays in first and I have reverse.

No knows car runs fine, there is a three wire plug that goes into the front of the tranny by the radiator that has been cut. We got this car and had a valve body put in but the car has always been stuck in third. Valve body made no change. The idle adjustment screw was turned out and the car was pulsating, i adjusted back down and the lope is bad.

Could it be the TPS and how do i check this

Last edited by a moderator:
"Whew!" I got dizzy reading this. All I saw was a Mongolian clusterbleep of words running together with no beginning and no end. Take a deep breath next time and slow down when typing.

Where's the punctuation and capitalization so we can understand it better? Please read the forum rules when posting, for if you want help, please work with us on your end.

There is a fuse for the A/T, when it blows, the transmission goes into whats called the "limp" mode. Check your fuses under driver side dash. You might be having some type of electrical issues if that fuse is bad.
holy shit there's a A/T fuse?! OMG, I hope this solves my Auto trans not shifting out of 1st gear problem I just posted about! I had no idea A/T had fuses for gear shifting.... FML LOL

holy shit there's a A/T fuse?! OMG, I hope this solves my Auto trans not shifting out of 1st gear problem I just posted about! I had no idea A/T had fusses for gear shifting.... FML LOL
Stuck in first has nothing to do with any fuse, you have either internal problems, a bad tcu or a shifter issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back