The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Stock rebuild for 400-450whp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
I think I found the turbo I'm going to run this coming year.. I'm really liking the 7 blade hx40 with the t3 housing.. And i need to get another block for my car and I've been thinking about just doing a cheap stock rebuild with new oem internals. How reliable do you guys think it would be handling 400+ whp being driven weekly at the track and when in driving it its going to be driven hard LOL a stock rebuild would be alot cheaper than building the block I'm just worried about it holding the power for a summer of hard driving

There are guys who have held that power on stock internals, but everything has to be damn near perfect, and keeping that power long term is not guaranteed. You will have a much better chance of meeting your goals reliably by building a bottom end with stronger internals.

Edit: We are talking about 400 - 450whp on pump gas no?

Yes pump gas and that's basically what I figured I just really don't want to fork out the cash for the built block :( but going for 11s isn't cheap so ill do what it takes.. I was curious how stable it would be with spot on compression and a tune from Busher?

I just went through this myself, and it becomes a case or risk management, you could build a 6 bolt with 1g rods and 2g pistons and with the right tuning and some luck if could last a season, 2 or more, but for $500-$700 more of what you will spend on the stock rebuild you could use forged internals and have much less risk of a failure. The most important thing are stronger rods. If you already have 2g pistons handy they are fine and are known to handle the power you are looking for reliably (assuming virtually no knock).

I'd do it right the first time. I'm in the middle of my first rebuild, and I chose the more expensive route, I'm pretty sure I'll be glad I did.

Ya your right you really can't cut corners trying to make 400+whp so looks like ill be looking for some forged internals this spring has anyone had any luck with there hx40s? How hard is it to make 400whp on pump with one? I'm assuming if shouldn't be that hard sit supporting mods

I debated with myself with this very question. Decided to go with forged internals, a stock rebuild with 450hp is a time bomb.

The only thing you need to hit 450\500 range is Evo 8 or 9 pistons , that setup have been proven many times. I have it at one of my builds HX35 30PSi. If you are on budged that great setup. of course you need to build the head to handle the high RPM.

By the time you put arp's in some 6-bolt rods, have the big end resized, modified for 2g, or evo pistons, and bought the pistons and rings, you have spent almost enough for aftermarket rods and pistons.

I'm not really on a budget I guess I just really didnt want to spend the extra money if I didn't have to but as you all have said it'll be alot more reliable and the tune won't have to be dead nuts on so it doesn't low up the first Time I do a pull.. I really just want to get this car alteast running for the shootout so I can bring it but idk if I'm gonna be able too :( I don't graduate until July and I'm gonna have to spend every penny I make after I get hired to make it to the shootout without Gsx built.. I need a block either way so looks like ill just go forged.

All I really need to get where I want is the block done, head built which isn't very much, 1000cc injectors and my holset setup i want to run, and a gasket and studs.. I already have a pump and dsmlink. Granted my car does need new suspension tires and wheel bearing before it hits the road again also! Can't forget the Maintenence :thumb:

450 @ the wheels is well over 500 at the flywheel. This is almost 3x the power output that these engines were designed to withstand. There are people claiming this kind of power on stock shortblocks/components but I question the reliability of said engines.

Yes you and the other guys are 100% correct the motor is no place to take chances on I'm sure I could find a piston rod setup on here for around 800 bucks then just get a block and build it with my dad this spring...

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back