The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Stock 98 Spyder GS-T breaking up randomly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauce Dog

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2017
Kokomo, Indiana
Hey guys, I just got the car back and running after it sat for a little over 7 months. I had a stage 1 SBC installed and now I notice it's breaking up in 2nd and 3rd sometimes.

It seems to happen randomly, but only when I stab it. If I roll into the boost gently it'll be fine and rev all the way out no problem, but if I stab the throttle to make it spool a little faster it breaks up a bit. It almost sounds like a misfire, it'll miss for about 2 seconds and then run good again for about 3, break up again for 2...

I haven't been able to get on it for very long, tags are still in the mail, throttle cable is hanging on by a thread, and it needs tires bad. Could it just be water in the tank from condensation? It did sit for a while. It was almost empty when i got it back from the shop, and I filled it up, so maybe it could be a clogged injector, or a minor boost leak? could it have thrown timing? it runs good when it does run, great i'd say. thanks for hearing me out.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i will figure out a boost leak test and do that before getting back to you guys. it has relatively new ngk plug wires, but i might as well swap those out and put new plugs in it while i'm at it. i'll get back with results soon hopefully

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back