The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 1998 Spyder GS 4g64 Timing Belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwebe101

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
Defiance, Ohio
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1998 GS Spyder with the 4g64 for $350. It threw a timing belt and needs a new head and timing kit.

I have done many small repairs on lots of different cars but have never taken a head off or touched timing components. I am wondering if this is a good place to start with the SOHC engine? I can't find any writeups on how to work on this engine so if anyone has resources or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

I have found a working 4g64 head for 200 bucks so I am hoping to keep costs down. The main thing I want to get from this is knowledge.

If it were me, I'd throw a 4g63 head on it and have a nice 2.4 turbo engine. However, if you're just trying to fix the sohc as is, then definitely start with the head and timing belt. Don't forget to replace the belt tensioner as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back